• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 charger as first car

Daily driver would be a blast (carburetor is easy to rebuild and will be just fine in winters, with just a little patience.) But, if you're driving longer distances to school or work, the fuel costs will likely wear you out. And driving it in snow is super risky for a wreck. Now, as a project car, you can't go wrong. It takes time and money to keep it up & running safely. If you have garage / pole barn space to work on it, you'll have no regrets. Tools and mechanical parts are not very expensive these days. And, because of forums like this one, endless internet-based resources, and easily obtainable parts, it has never been easier to take on classic car project. I picked up a '67 Dodge with zero mechanic experience and learned everything by reading the manual and asking questions.

@70VCode is correct. There about 70 screws to take out the dash cluster to even change a bulb.
Actually there are about 8 screws to get the dash cluster out. Just did it :) You do have to drop the steering column a bit. That is 2 nuts. It looks very intimidating but not as near as bad as you would think.

One of my close friend's grandfather owns a dark blue 67 383 Charger with the 727 auto. It is nearly mint except for tires, a cracked passenger window, bad alignment, and very slightly worn seats. I could get it for as low as 2-3k. This would be my first car. I should be able to buy a beater for the winter but I may need to tough through one Ohio winter (I'll get snow tires and undercoat it) with the Charger. Should I jump on this deal? I don't know all too much about the cars so is there anything I should know or be aware of if I do buy it?
Just buy it and enjoy it as the thing it was made to be.... a really beautiful object of consumer utility. Ohio winter or not!!
If the itch and pocket depth allows sometime you'll have it, have enjoyed driving it and know what you need and want to restore it.
Plus, you'll not have the ¨ ...I could-a had it, **&&@@@!¨ remorse later. ;-)
Definitely. I have near 25k restoring my 66 Charger Barn Find.

Mate in all honesty I wouldn't let a young kid have a 383 charger as their first car. You're way more likely to crash in the first few years and these cars don't crash well at all. You should definitely buy the Charger, fix it up with your dad, and keep it for years and years as a weekend cruiser, but buy a safe modern car for daily driving. One with airbags, good seatbelts, collapsible steering column (!) etc. Driving it in the winter would be a death wish for the car and for you. The thing will be misting up inside, it won't idle well from cold, you'll probably spin it if the roads are cold and wet, the wipers will be rubbish, the list goes on. Old cars are great under the right circumstances, but these aren't them.

Mate in all honesty I wouldn't let a young kid have a 383 charger as their first car. You're way more likely to crash in the first few years and these cars don't crash well at all. You should definitely buy the Charger, fix it up with your dad, and keep it for years and years as a weekend cruiser, but buy a safe modern car for daily driving. One with airbags, good seatbelts, collapsible steering column (!) etc. Driving it in the winter would be a death wish for the car and for you. The thing will be misting up inside, it won't idle well from cold, you'll probably spin it if the roads are cold and wet, the wipers will be rubbish, the list goes on. Old cars are great under the right circumstances, but these aren't them.
Holly bat sh**, how did we ever drive them new!??? I'd rather trust my 67 Charger in snow and ice than my Honda computer spam can or the Land Rover Discovery that always had a mind of its own. Alas we always think new must be better.... oooooops, now we wander into politics!

Holly bat sh**, how did we ever drive them new!??? I'd rather trust my 67 Charger in snow and ice than my Honda computer spam can or the Land Rover Discovery that always had a mind of its own. Alas we always think new must be better.... oooooops, now we wander into politics!
No kidding. I drove a 73 Maverick or a 72 Cuda in the winter "way back in the day". But today, I would not drive either just to avoid the issue of having to repair due to an accident and keep it out of the salty snow (rust).

No kidding. I drove a 73 Maverick or a 72 Cuda in the winter "way back in the day". But today, I would not drive either just to avoid the issue of having to repair due to an accident and keep it out of the salty snow (rust).
Seems only yesterday!
Though one must aver to the fact the behaviour and density of traffic even in rural places is vastly greater. Plus of course we were not totally myopic from small screen twitch, tap, yell syndrome either. Just or fumble finger 4 or 8 track cassette antics. ;-)

BREAKING NEWS:
OHIO residents are trading in their modern cars and snapping up old muscle cars in preparation for the coming winter "They are perfect for snow and ice" say experts, "especially big blocks".

Nice piece! Winter? Snow tires? Undercoat? Appreciate this car! Respect this special experience and investment. All bad ideas that I listed

Wow that is a good deal, if it is not rusty in the torque boxes, and the front spring mounts and bolts. Is it a four or two barrel 383? Safety glass is not like tempered glass but windows are not hard to find I have a back window, vent window and a side glass from a 67 don't really remember which side though. I have dismantled quite a few wrecked and rusted to death 66 through 76 B and E bodies As far as brakes go If you want Drums that stop you get some Powdered Sintered Iron NASCAR linings they will stop as good as Disks, BUT you have to WARM them up in cold weather or they barely slow you down with a lot of pedal pressure. Tire lockup is the problem once they are hot with minimal pressure, they take a little leaning curve. DO NOT chance a dry rotted tire AT ALL on a Nearly 4000 pound car. Get some medium compound tires with wide drainage grooves. The backseat is really good for a young man plenty of room to entertain. ALL of the console and side pieces of the rear in it are Charger only, and no other car will fit the pivots for the rear seat backs are not easy to work on or find so check the rear of the car out really good, that is the only REAL headache that is unique to the 66-67 chargers and Barracuda fastback. Mostly only get it if it will always be fun if it won't move to something that will.

I know an older post. I saved the email. Life's issues going crazy. I owned a 66 Charger many years ago. 318 auto. Bought it from my aunts brother. Who bought it new. I sold the car. Never gave the new buyer spare parts I had for it.( Deposit and wait a month to get paid the rest. )

Anyone want to make me an offer on what I have. NOS right rear tail light lense, Gas tank fuel pickup, gauge cluster minus the fuel gauge. Prefer local pickup as I live 15 miles S/W of Chgo.

Adding pics. Dave

20180917_094137.jpg 20180917_094150.jpg 20180917_094336.jpg 20180917_094303.jpg 20180917_094351.jpg 20180917_094356.jpg 20180917_094402.jpg 20180917_094143.jpg

I know an older post. I saved the email. Life's issues going crazy. I owned a 66 Charger many years ago. 318 auto. Bought it from my aunts brother. Who bought it new. I sold the car. Never gave the new buyer spare parts I had for it.( Deposit and wait a month to get paid the rest. )

Anyone want to make me an offer on what I have. NOS right rear tail light lense, Gas tank fuel pickup, gauge cluster minus the fuel gauge. Prefer local pickup as I live 15 miles S/W of Chgo.

Adding pics. Dave

View attachment 868203 View attachment 868204 View attachment 868205 View attachment 868206 View attachment 868207 View attachment 868208 View attachment 868209 View attachment 868210
cluster still available by chance?

Auto Transport Service
Back