• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 Coronet AC upgrade?

Havasu Dave

Local time
11:53 AM
Reaction score
Hi folks! My 67 RT has the original AC installed. It works, but I see evidence of leaks in several areas. I drive in extremely hot weather (115F or so) and see engine temp gauge creeping up. I know this old system is inadequate for this climate, and below standards of modern systems.

Will upgrading my old and original system "devalue" the car's historic worth? It's original otherwise. I don't know a better way to ask that question.

What systems are available that would fit the Coronet without cutting metal? A bigger condenser would be good, but will it fit? I'm lost in the weeds in this one.

If I didn't remove the carpet and see a bunch of rust and oil in the foot well beneath the evaporator, I'd probably just let it go. If I'm pulling the air box, I might as well pull the evaporator, and might as well, might as well, etc. (grin)

Thanks in advance. Dave

PS: Is the underdash portion of the job as "fun" as it appears it will be? :)

Hi Dave,
I retrofitted my '67 Coronet with factory air using the condenser kit and compressor brackets from BPE. It's been a year now with no troubles. Will cool down quick even without tinted windows here on the Gulf coast. Buddy 011.jpg
In traffic I get a 10 degree temp rise but if you're moving at any speed my 318 stays at 160. The kit is easy to install but you will have to get the hoses crimped once they are all cut to size and indexed. Yes, the parts are all Chinese made but I haven't had a problem. You will loose about 20# using the Sanden compressor over the stock one.
http://www.bpeusa.com/BPEcondensor_kit.asp
I didn't need to work on the evaporator so I can only say good luck with that.

The under dash portion of your A/C work will be MORE fun than you think. It always is when laying on your back.

You might want to look at this setup ... it's a "Perfect Fit" from Classic Auto Air designed to fit 66-67 B-bodies and use all of the existing controls.

http://www.classicautoair.com/66_67_Mopar B-Body_Air_Conditioning_Mopar_AC.html

Thanks for the link. I note those are for vehicles with "heat only" setups. I suppose they could be used with my AC car, if I didn't use their evaporator.

I've had the dash out a couple of times now. Third time's a charm? :)

I am having classic auto air update my system to r134a, this will allow me to keep the original componets and I will get good cooling as well. It should be back to me in the next few weeks. Great people there as well and detailed all the options including if I wanted hoses to be concors quality or just upgraded but close to original.

Are you sure it is the evaporator? It is much more likely to be your heater core. I would hook up an air compressor to just the evaporator and pressurize to 100 lbs. and see if it holds pressure before I tear out the heater box. If it is the evap, I would just get a stock one to replace the old one. These things are huge, cheap and almost bulletproof.

I spoke with the previous owner the other day and he said at one time there was a leak at one of the hoses. At that time, he had both the evaporator and heater core replaced. As I said earlier, there was oil in the passenger foot well, leading me to the AC system as the cause of water damage there.

In hindsite, I am starting to lean towards keeping it original and just replace the components. The cost is about the same, while retaining the original setup, at the cost of a slightly less capable system.

Auto Transport Service
Back