• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing center AC duct on 67 GTX

Gary Spaid

Local time
5:07 AM
Reaction score
I am trying to get to a screw that holds the blower switch to the AC/heater control bracket. (In the picture it is not visible but is below the switch itself.) The screw is not accessible with the facing plate off and the two bracket screws removed and the instrument panel loosened. This is mostly because PO installed the wrong blower switch. I think if I remove the center AC duct I will be able to get to it. Now how do I remove that center AC duct? Or is there another way to get to the screw? Thanks,
1695311905968_20230919_085750.jpg

In removing the instrument panel what is best way to get to the speedometer cable? I would need to remove AC duct below it on the driver side, I think. Or is there another way to get to it?

In removing the instrument panel what is best way to get to the speedometer cable? I would need to remove AC duct below it on the driver side, I think. Or is there another way to get to it?
I can’t speak specifically to the GTX, but I have had the instrument panel out of my 67 Coronet with A/C numerous times. I found it best to remove the A/C duct from the driver’s A/C vent first. There are two screws holding the A/C vent to the lower dash. Remove the screw closest to the steering column, then loosen, but do not remove the remaining screw as the holes are difficult to align when ready to reinstall. You can now pivot the A/C vent out of the way to allow room to reach up to the speedometer cable nut. In the Coronet I found it best to remove all screws from the instrument cluster first then tilt the top out slightly to provide a better angle on the speedometer cable nut for both removal and reinstall.

I can’t speak specifically to the GTX, but I have had the instrument panel out of my 67 Coronet with A/C numerous times. I found it best to remove the A/C duct from the driver’s A/C vent first. There are two screws holding the A/C vent to the lower dash. Remove the screw closest to the steering column, then loosen, but do not remove the remaining screw as the holes are difficult to align when ready to reinstall. You can now pivot the A/C vent out of the way to allow room to reach up to the speedometer cable nut. In the Coronet I found it best to remove all screws from the instrument cluster first then tilt the top out slightly to provide a better angle on the speedometer cable nut for both removal and reinstall.
Thanks, good advice. I will see what I can do tomorrow.

Auto Transport Service
Back