• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 coronet

LAXmoparman

Local time
3:53 AM
Reaction score
finally got my dream car. Have a lot I want to do. Originally a 273 car that someone converted to the /6. Wanna get all your thoughts. I want to swap a small block v8 back into this beauty but not sure what I should go with. Looking for a tire burning street car mainly. 318? 360? I know the slant has its cult following but I am not in love with it.

4AE5D3F3-6987-43D9-936D-25CC56751A55.jpeg

I have found a bunch of 318 cores for less than $200 so I was thinking about going that route. I have a few guys at work that say not to waste my time rebuilding one. But I wouldn’t trust them changing an air filter either lol.

If you want to cruise and enjoy the drive the 318 is great. If you want to do burnouts and hot rod then 360 minimum or go the BB. My Coronet is a 318 and it cruises down the Interstate all day long at 80 mph and works just fine.

finally got my dream car. Have a lot I want to do. Originally a 273 car that someone converted to the /6. Wanna get all your thoughts. I want to swap a small block v8 back into this beauty but not sure what I should go with. Looking for a tire burning street car mainly. 318? 360? I know the slant has its cult following but I am not in love with it.

View attachment 792310
It's very unusual that someone swapped a V8 for a /6, especially in a B body; usually it's the other way around.

Anyways, for max tire smoke, I personally would go with a 440, or a stroked 383.
The problem you might run into is cooling. Big blocks prefer a 26" radiator.
I haven't tried any of the new style 22" radiators, that might be the quick fix.
If it was an original AC car, you are all set, otherwise you would have to open up the radiator support.

My 318 2bbl cruises along great with 2.94s and accelerates very well, but it can't quite light 'em up even with a peg leg rear.

Welcome to FBBO from SoCal - go with a 440. You have the structure for it. Why screw around.

why not stroke a 360. Dress it up like the 273, but has 408+ cubic inches. Big cars need some stroke to get them moving (if you're cruising and not just racing.)

It's very unusual that someone swapped a V8 for a /6, especially in a B body; usually it's the other way around.

Anyways, for max tire smoke, I personally would go with a 440, or a stroked 383.
I haven't tried any of the new style 22" radiators, that might be the quick fix.
If it was an original AC car, you are all set, otherwise you would have to open up the radiator support.

My 318 2bbl cruises along great with 2.94s and accelerates very well, but it can't quite light 'em up even with a peg leg rear.

Mine has a 2.94 sure-grip so there is no flipping way the 318 will ever light them up :)

I thought the same thing but according to vin it says 273. Someone did some work to the slant at some point. Has headers and intake with a Carter afb. Wish I knew more about the cars history.

Welcome to FBBO. 440 RB for sure. You already have the V8 k frame, if the radiator support isn't big enough for a 26" radiator then swap in a new support from one of the suppliers. We can help you with answers and guidance if you need it. Welcome to the madness!

B-bodies 62-72

There are three basic combinations with this body style. The slant six, the V-8, and the Hemi. This makes engine swaps very easy, if you have a V-8 K-member. Simply locate the correct brackets and insulators and bolt them in. Six cylinder conversions will require the change to the V-8 K-member. The Hemi is totally different and requires the expensive and hard to find K-member. Example: a '66 Charger with a 318 can become a 383 or 440 car with relative ease.

Welcome to FBBO from SoCal - go with a 440. You have the structure for it. Why screw around.
Believe me I want to. And I still m
B-bodies 62-72

There are three basic combinations with this body style. The slant six, the V-8, and the Hemi. This makes engine swaps very easy, if you have a V-8 K-member. Simply locate the correct brackets and insulators and bolt them in. Six cylinder conversions will require the change to the V-8 K-member. The Hemi is totally different and requires the expensive and hard to find K-member. Example: a '66 Charger with a 318 can become a 383 or 440 car with relative ease.
okay great. I have mainly been looking at SB cores because I wasn’t sure a BB was really an option. I would prefer a big block so I am going to start shopping around. I am sure I am going to have a lot of questions over the next few months lol. Glad I found this website.

I thought the same thing but according to vin it says 273. Someone did some work to the slant at some point. Has headers and intake with a Carter afb. Wish I knew more about the cars history.
I would get a video of the engine running and taking it out for a ride.
There are probably some /6 enthusiasts that would love a running setup.
Strike up a deal and you'll have some cash to put towards your next engine.

Was the 6 cylinder mounted on a V8 K-frame. If you buy a core engine buy a complete engine, shopping around for small parts is a PITA and dollars.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back