• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 GTX Original Trunk Finish

67GTX440

Reaction score
Was the trunk floor and inside of quarter panels originally painted the body color on a 67 GTX? Mine is black and white speckel paint, but I don't think that they came that way.

Is your car black ? I had a black 66 with splatter paint in the trunk, and it was definitely orginal.
Maybe they thought it would be too dark in there with black ? Anybody know about this ?

They were always body color even the black ones. Someone rattlecanned splatter paint on your trunk lynchroad. Sorry.

Did any years of Plymouth have spatter finish trunks? My 1970 road runner is body colour too. However I wonder about the paint chip charts that show all available paint options for the year, and under the colour chips is a list of codes for black and argent trim, plus code No. 846 for three tone black and gray trunk finish.

Was this for dealer applications, special factory order, or just a teaser to let you know what you weren't going to be able to get? And if you could get it, would it be on the fender tag?

-=Photon440=-

They were always body color even the black ones. Someone rattlecanned splatter paint on your trunk lynchroad. Sorry.

ws27, That seems strange to me, because I sanded it all down to bare metal and there was no sign of black paint under it. Just a grayish primer.

I understand, but that doesn't mean someone else didn't sand it down sometime in the past 46 years.

What Chrysler did was assemble the car to a certain point then everything got painted. Unlike Ford and Chevy, there was no messing around trying to mount already painted fenders and other painted things. That's why you see the engine compartment, interior partially, underside partially and other things painted.

Not sure why you didn't find any traces, but there was body color in that trunk when it left the factory. Our cars have a lot of history hiding through the years.

Here are codes for trunk spatter finish for 1967. My earlier reference was for 1970, so these numbers are different.

chrysler_1967__dupont_c_04.jpg

Just learned something new about `67 trunk spaces! Thanks Photon440!

That does raise a question or two as to why on the chart. Original color dark metallic green paint was under my speckel paint.

I have never seen spatter paint in any old MoPar trunk and also find the above chart interesting. I wonder if it was something the dealer did. But then I would ask why bother.

I saw a survivor 67 GTX on here (maybe in the for sale section) and it might be a good time to ask him about his trunk finish.

I am 98 % certain of memory, that I parted out a 67 New Yorker that had 'splatter' trunk finish, and it was an unmolested car. I have never , ie 100 % certain, seen an original B body painted spatter finish. I also would hold to the rule that mopars' color in trunk matched the body, for the porpoises of a resto.

flipper

I am 98 % certain of memory, that I parted out a 67 New Yorker that had 'splatter' trunk finish, and it was an unmolested car. I have never , ie 100 % certain, seen an original B body painted spatter finish. I also would hold to the rule that mopars' color in trunk matched the body, for the porpoises of a resto.

flipper

It could be for C-bodies or Imperials. I have no experience with them, but the big cars had the trunks dressed up far more than b-bodies, so spatter paint might have happened on those. Anyone with a C-body care to chime in?

Back