• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 GTX, what gap for the points

440Matt

Local time
5:13 PM
Reaction score
I have about .023 now, thinking .016/.017 like my old Pontiacs, please advise, thanks, Matt

I try to get mine as close to .017 as possible.

I seem to recall .018-.021.... And the gap closes as they wear... So shoot for .021

Question......single or dual point distributor? The dual point gap should be: 0.016" - 0.017" each . The single point gap should be 0.020". AFTER setting the point gap, then set the timing @ 15° BTDC (+/- depending on fuel, carb, cam, gear ratio, etc). Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

.017 has been working fine for me. I usually end up on the lower side of the dwell range which I like as it leaves a little room for rubbing block wear. But it depends on yout technique for measuring the gap with a feeler gage. Some will go for a light/loose touch with the feeler gage blade and others go for a little snugger fit between the points. It doesn’t take much effort to move the points arm with the blade if not real careful and consistent.

.017 has been working fine for me. I usually end up on the lower side of the dwell range which I like as it leaves a little room for rubbing block wear. But it depends on yout technique for measuring the gap with a feeler gage. Some will go for a light/loose touch with the feeler gage blade and others go for a little snugger fit between the points. It doesn’t take much effort to move the points arm with the blade if not real careful and consistent.
A long long time ago in the fifties and maybe earlier, my father would always carry a thin worn silver dime. Said set the points to that and you will get home. Actually worked for me once on my 58 Delray which was a step below the Biscayne, one year only. 6cyl did get 100mph until valve float took over and took out a piston.

Whatever thickness a matchbook cover is. ( a tip given to me 50 years ago )
Yep, what we used to say in high school 1987, i had Pontiacs then so did not know if Mopar was different, this is my first Mopar

Thanks for the tip, ill go .017”

That is what I thought and my Engineer buddy sent some Chilton pages showing.017

Question......single or dual point distributor? The dual point gap should be: 0.016" - 0.017" each . The single point gap should be 0.020". AFTER setting the point gap, then set the timing @ 15° BTDC (+/- depending on fuel, carb, cam, gear ratio, etc). Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON
Single pretty sure, never seen a dual point

I like this. Makes me think back. If using a dwell meter (the best way to set points) 8 cyl. 28-31 degrees, 6 cyl. 31-36 degrees, 4 cyl 46-49. Don't quote me on this, but being an old service station Tech (mechanic) from the '70's this is what the specs were. If you set the dwell on the high side of the spec expect harder starting. As stated before shoot for the low dwell reading (bigger point gap), and as the rubbing block wears the dwell angle will increase. Ford distributors were notorious for the gap closing due to rubbing block wear; that was the only complaints we had on our tune-ups. Must have had heavier spring on the points.

Set dual points the same way. Stick something in one set of points to hold them open and adjust one set at at time. Same dwell for 8 cyl. on each set of points.

Just a suggestion, but I usually start at around .015, check dwell, shoot for around 30°, then set initial timing to suit your needs based on how much mechanical advance your particular distributor provides. Keep in mind any point gap adjustment affects timing, so check timing last.

A simple matchbook has served me well over the years.

Auto Transport Service
Back