• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 R/T... Back to Life

The steering wheel was a head scratcher, I had no idea how to paint a steering wheel. More like what materials to use. The wheel is color matched to interior, there is nothing in the factory service manual that tells us what color code or what gloss level it is. Looking at pictures of other cars I decided to use the paint used on the dash (Shopline base coat) and use a semi clear. I went to the paint store and asked them to to mix the dash paint without the suede but they said they couldn't. No clue why, said they didn't have a formula but yet they custom made the paint they already sold me. So now I'm freaking out a little. I decided to use what I had and wet sand the suede out of it and make it smooth before clear. Luckily it all worked out. Original chrome on the wheel.
44414276661_b8365c6982_o.jpg

Final stages of painting. Today I painted all the remaining stuff. Inner fender covers, bumper brackets, and radiator. Radiator is going to be a little glossier than it should be but it will die back once it heat cycles a bunch of times.

Gloss level is supposed to be a little above 'satin'. Paint is wet in the pictures.
30545426388_03ee03d8dd_o.jpg
30545425448_0823b10fa3_o.jpg

Mine has the half horn ring, but with same wheel. Like your idea on steering wheel restoration. Guy recasts those wheels too. My wheel has a marbled blue metallic finish. I purchased lacquer paint for the interior long ago still have unopened can of the suede blue dash paint.

So I think the engine bay is done. Radiator and fan shrouds are installed.

43715825374_be751fbc57_o.jpg
29495397177_be7e797a75_o.jpg

Before pictures. BTW those are the same valve covers just clean.
35899087840_352998869b_o.jpg
35487447363_d6924ddc05_o.jpg

Rear bumper is all together and installed. I still need to recondition the back up lights. All bolts were cleaned and phosphated. Original bumpers replaced by LiBrandis.
42623871370_be6569550e_o.jpg
42623871470_cdd5aac7f5_o.jpg

Alright, now for the best part... The car runs! I'm guessing but the car probably has not run since the early 80's until today again. I'm not sure if I told the story about the engine but I was told right before the guy who I bought the car from, they did a cam swap. They said the idle was a little rough. I figured there was no way that this person remembered this but sure enough when I took the engine apart it it had an Erson cam in it. When I inspected all the engine parts the cam looked new so it was reinstalled with new lifters. They were right about the idle too. This video is crappy, not sure why it didn't flip the right way but the audio is the important part.

Awesome car man really nice job on it congratulations on getting her running. Tail pipes look really nice to.

The Erson 140H cam spec's out as follows:

234° Duration @ 0.050"
302° Advertised Duration
0.450" Gross Valve Lift
110° Lobe Seperation

The 140H was an early grind (one of the first) offered by Sig Erson, available in 1965

Alright, now for the best part... The car runs! I'm guessing but the car probably has not run since the early 80's until today again. I'm not sure if I told the story about the engine but I was told right before the guy who I bought the car from, they did a cam swap. They said the idle was a little rough. I figured there was no way that this person remembered this but sure enough when I took the engine apart it it had an Erson cam in it. When I inspected all the engine parts the cam looked new so it was reinstalled with new lifters. They were right about the idle too. This video is crappy, not sure why it didn't flip the right way but the audio is the important part.

:thumbsup: Sweet.....

Steering wheel looks great along with everything else. Sounds good also!

With every project there are challenges and they seem to come in all different varieties.

The spare tire was something that I wanted a good old tire. A friend of mine gave me a nice F70-14 redline Firestone. I'm thinking this is great, that'll work. Wrong. Tire was too big to fit in the tire well and put the cover on. Back to the drawing board.

After months and months go by I was doing one of my favorite things, searching Craigslist nationawide for parts. If found a listing in MN for a 7.75x14 WSW Goodyear Power Cushion tire on a wheel. This is the exact tire this car came with. I contacted the seller and I think it took him like 6 weeks to get back to me with shipping and then he had to setup PayPal. I'm thinking it's never going to happen. Well it did, when this tire arrived I was blown away. Previously mounted but the tire never rolled on the pavement, at least not on a car. No one repop she this tire in 14" so it's got to be the real deal.

I'm so excited for something that probably no one will ever see. Not only did I find the exact right tire but it's new and looks new. I'm done glowing.

42693344920_ca4ef8dabc_o.jpg
42693344790_268c0fbc67_o.jpg

Fantastic car and great job! My father-in-law has a 67 GTX that needs restoration - maybe I'll get my hands on that some day. But these cars are not like my 70 Road Runner where parts are readily available, so you have to work hard for these...

Again, excellent job - you should be justifiably proud of the job you've done!

Hawk

Auto Transport Service
Back