• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 R/T... Back to Life

Well my build thread wasn’t too far buried. Car has been out and about and seems to be running no well. I had a few things to sort out, mainly the radiator. Very long story short, I was able to use the original radiator and core. My radiator guy said there was a nest in the radiator and he got it out. Well, he didn’t get it out. Radiator had to be pulled and reflushed . I also got the original water pump rebuilt by Arthur Gould Rebuilders, got to say it was a very quick turn around and cost was very fair.

Also, almost had a disaster on a Friday afternoon here in York coming back for the street rod show. Normal Friday rush and I was cutoff by a work van, locked’em up and clipped a curb. Needed tire, wheel and alignment. No other damage thankfully.

Off to Carlisle on Friday and a Saturday. Should be the final break in test. Round trip for me is about 80 miles X2 days.

Here’s from a local 4th of July show.
View attachment 795071
BEAUTFUL!

Looking foward to seeing her at Carslile :thumbsup:

Gotta watch the morons around here. I'm driving part time delivering parts and they're a dime a dozen.

Looking foward to seeing her at Carslile :thumbsup:

Gotta watch the morons around here. I'm driving part time delivering parts and they're a dime a dozen.
Me too, I want to see the car at Carlisle! As hot as it’s been I’ll be nervously watching the temp gauge once I get in traffic. Should be fine though. See you there.

Me too, I want to see the car at Carlisle! As hot as it’s been I’ll be nervously watching the temp gauge once I get in traffic. Should be fine though. See you there.

Last year, Saturday morning, got into town, about a mile from the fairgrounds and hit the traffic. Stop and go. It was already 80 degs. Anytime I was sitting I'd put it in neutral. Helps with the trans heat which in turns keeps the engine cooler. It did just fine.

I want to congratulate you on your excellent restoration. This is indeed a beautiful car that you have and you are now getting the rewards you and your family put into making it great. In addition, your posts are very informative, accurate and you have a writing style many car restorators should envy you of. I especially liked the how to phosphate post.

Ragnar in Iceland

I want to congratulate you on your excellent restoration. This is indeed a beautiful car that you have and you are now getting the rewards you and your family put into making it great. In addition, your posts are very informative, accurate and you have a writing style many car restorators should envy you of. I especially liked the how to phosphate post.

Ragnar in Iceland
Thank you very much! It’s been fighting me a little bit getting it on the road and where I want it to be but overall it’s been good. Thanks again!

Chrysler’s @ Carlisle is in the bag and it was a lot of fun. I had a chance to meet a few people at the tent too. Looks like the car scored a fun field award as well. After driving the car for two days I decided the cam needed swapped out, something I should have just done when I rebuilt the engine. More on that later.
08C64CAF-FB2D-4957-BE71-0D64525D3E53.jpeg

8AA118F0-F9C9-4785-BE0A-950CA7E95BDE.jpeg
63A17AB3-A170-4B0B-8F7C-756F02F7A19C.jpeg

BIG NEWS!!! But first, let’s talk about that cam. Early in the build thread I mentioned there was a cam swap done in 70’s with an Erson 140H. Found some specs but nothing for sure, even had Erson look at specs in an old catalog. I figured the cam was not worn at all, I’ll use it. The car sounded great at idle but the drivability was not good. Stock converter and 3:23 gears it was just a pig down low and getting off idle was jerky, not a smooth transition. I went with the Summit 6401 since it seems the internet really likes that cam in an HP 440 application. Needless to say they were right. Car is completely different and drives great. Good low end. I can actually light the tires now.

Now for the big news... if your following along from the first post you know that there’s a car out there that my parents bought new in 67 but this was not the car. It looks just like it, bought at the same dealer, produced a month apart. Nearly the same options. This week I was able to purchase THE car. I got my parents car! I guess I’m the guy with two cars that look identical. :screwy:

Time for another build thread I guess - https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/67-r-t-back-to-life-part-ii.178526/

6CC462C9-D915-49B0-90BA-F6C376A362C2.jpeg

Last edited:
BIG NEWS!!! But first, let’s talk about that cam. Early in the build thread I mentioned there was a cam swap done in 70’s with an Erson 140H. Found some specs but nothing for sure, even had Erson look at specs in an old catalog. I figured the cam was not worn at all, I’ll use it. The car sounded great at idle but the drivability was not good. Stock converter and 3:23 gears it was just a pig down low and getting off idle was jerky, not a smooth transition. I went with the Summit 6401 since it seems the internet really likes that cam in an HP 440 application. Needless to say they were right. Car is completely different and drives great. Good low end. I can actually light the tires now.

Now for the big news... if your following along from the first post you know that there’s a car out there that my parents bought new in 67 but this was not the car. It looks just like it, bought at the same dealer, produced a month apart. Nearly the same options. This week I was able to purchase THE car. I got my parents car! I guess I’m the guy with two cars that look identical. :screwy:

Time for another build thread I guess - ‘link place holder’

View attachment 826572

Hey, that's great to hear! Have you always known the whereabouts of your parent's car?

I have nothing but good to say about the 6401 in my 440!

Hopefully I'll run into you somewhere around here. I've seen two different cars that looked like yours, asked the owner where they were from and realized it wasn't you! Lol
That’s funny! You don’t see a lot of these around, easy to get them mixed up for sure.

That's Awesome! So what did your mom say about buying the old family car?

That's Awesome! So what did your mom say about buying the old family car?
She doesn’t get too excited but she also hasn’t seen the car yet either. She tried to get it for my dad’s 50th birthday and couple other times after that and she knows I’ve been after it for more than a few years now too.

Auto Transport Service
Back