• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 R/T Wheel and Tire Help

RebelautoengrLLC

Local time
4:53 AM
Reaction score
Hello all. I'm working to put my car back together and am looking to at least get it rolling again. I have an 8 3/4 with the mopar performance competition springs. I would like to know what suggestions there are for fitting wheels and tires in the rear. I'm looking at some Bassett rims 15x8 with 4" BS. Does anyone have experience running these in the rear? I'm open to tire size suggestions.

I don’t know what differences you will see between spring choices when it comes to wheels and tires. I ran a set of super stock springs and hangers for years on my 67 Belvedere and for the past 2 have used xhd from ESPO. Wheels, tires and slicks the same, General 255/60/15 on steel rims from junkyard vans and 9x28” hoosiers on 15x8 Centerlline Convo Pro rims. Have to slow down to under 20mph when leaving the shutdown or the slicks rub, street tires no problems.

The Centerlines list as having zero offset, the rims you indicate look like they’ll have negative offset and will probably set your tires too close to the wheel well opening, depending on their size. I’d look at measuring whatever rims/tires you now have installed to see what kind of room your car gives.

I don’t know what differences you will see between spring choices when it comes to wheels and tires. I ran a set of super stock springs and hangers for years on my 67 Belvedere and for the past 2 have used xhd from ESPO. Wheels, tires and slicks the same, General 255/60/15 on steel rims from junkyard vans and 9x28” hoosiers on 15x8 Centerlline Convo Pro rims. Have to slow down to under 20mph when leaving the shutdown or the slicks rub, street tires no problems.

The Centerlines list as having zero offset, the rims you indicate look like they’ll have negative offset and will probably set your tires too close to the wheel well opening, depending on their size. I’d look at measuring whatever rims/tires you now have installed to see what kind of room your car gives.
Thanks! I ended up trading parts for some powder coated mopar 15x7 steel rims. I know these will fit, as they are the stock sizing. The competition springs add an extra 1" to ride height in the rear. They were listed for a great deal, so I bought them. At the time, I didn't realize they required different hangers and the extra 1" arch. My car has sat so long, I got excited at the first great deal I came across.

My inquiry comes due to the fact the 66 67 wheel wells are so narrow. I was hoping someone had a similar set up who had gone through the tire and rim selection process. I'm not looking for anything fancy. I just want to drive the car at this point.

As stated, if you are trying to fit an 8" rim, you better start looking at your own opening, with rulers and measuring tapes.
What might fit on "buddys" car, may not on your car.

This is my car when the Superstock Springs weren't so old, back in 2013, so about 8 or 9 years in. They were supposed to raise the car but it wasn't much over the original 318 spec springs. Maybe I got some pretty flat ones, doesn't help that the battery's a big one and sits behind that right side wheel well. Yes, I had to go black and gold on the wheels that held the slicks, looked good going down the track. Car sits pretty low.

The XHD Espo springs are rated 1" higher than stock, whatever that's supposed to be, and they did lift the rear of the car some, but either way I have lucked out in the inner wheel well dimensions as I've never heard or felt the tires hitting up within. Just get rubs on the sidewall and can read "HOOSIER" in braille when I turn too quick off the track. There is a slight difference between the steel and aluminum rims, one puts the tire a little closer to the spring and the other a little closer to the wheel well lip. I don't want to give up the chrome, but might wind up having to down the road.

Good luck with your car!

Derestreettires.JPG

Derestage.jpg

Hello all. I'm working to put my car back together and am looking to at least get it rolling again. I have an 8 3/4 with the mopar performance competition springs. I would like to know what suggestions there are for fitting wheels and tires in the rear. I'm looking at some Bassett rims 15x8 with 4" BS. Does anyone have experience running these in the rear? I'm open to tire size suggestions.
You will need at least 4 1/2 bs on a 15x8 wheel for a 66/67 b-body, 4 3/4 or 5" would be better. 66/67 wheel wells are tight! Measurements ON YOUR CAR, are critical. 255s will fit bette4 than 275s.

Thank you everyone for the input. I now have a set of the 15x7 mopar steel rims. I appreciate the start for tire sizes.... as you all mentioned, I will take measurements on my car before my tire purchase.

This is my car when the Superstock Springs weren't so old, back in 2013, so about 8 or 9 years in. They were supposed to raise the car but it wasn't much over the original 318 spec springs. Maybe I got some pretty flat ones, doesn't help that the battery's a big one and sits behind that right side wheel well. Yes, I had to go black and gold on the wheels that held the slicks, looked good going down the track. Car sits pretty low.

The XHD Espo springs are rated 1" higher than stock, whatever that's supposed to be, and they did lift the rear of the car some, but either way I have lucked out in the inner wheel well dimensions as I've never heard or felt the tires hitting up within. Just get rubs on the sidewall and can read "HOOSIER" in braille when I turn too quick off the track. There is a slight difference between the steel and aluminum rims, one puts the tire a little closer to the spring and the other a little closer to the wheel well lip. I don't want to give up the chrome, but might wind up having to down the road.

Good luck with your car!

View attachment 1366497

View attachment 1366521
Looks great! My 67 Belvedere II is the same color, just got it 2 weeks ago and I'm looking at wheel/ tire combos too. This was helpful. What wheel and tire are you running on the front?

Looks great! My 67 Belvedere II is the same color, just got it 2 weeks ago and I'm looking at wheel/ tire combos too. This was helpful. What wheel and tire are you running on the front?

Thanks, good luck with your car! That's the original 14" steel wheels and tires are 24" tall. This past year I bought some 15x5" steel wheels and put 205/75/15 Kumho cheapies on them.

Auto Transport Service
Back