• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Charger brake question

ZDECKICH

Local time
4:09 AM
Reaction score
Just bought my new to me 68 Charger. The front has been converted to disc and rear is still drums. When I got the car delivered today the right rear drum seems like its stuck, and the brake pedal is hard with very little travel. What could cause this? Maybe air in the line and adjust the rear drums?

charger engine.jpg

Just bought my new to me 68 Charger. The front has been converted to disc and rear is still drums. When I got the car delivered today the right rear drum seems like its stuck, and the brake pedal is hard with very little travel. What could cause this? Maybe air in the line and adjust the rear drums?

View attachment 1643566
I would chrck if it needs adjusting plus easy to do jacked up, chok wheels and use jack stands

Do you mean stuck, as in, the wheel won’t turn?? Pull the drum off and take a look. I once had the brake shoe lining come off the shoe and look up the wheel.

That picture illustrates a Four wheel drum brake Master Cylinder , so you may have even more problems than you signed up for ……

Do you mean stuck, as in, the wheel won’t turn?? Pull the drum off and take a look. I once had the brake shoe lining come off the shoe and look up the wheel.
I just got the car yesterday, drove it a block when it got here, pulled in the driveway and noticed the rear drum was smoking a tad and smelled like a brake shoe sticking. And of course the super hard brake pedal with very little movement.

Just got through with the same conversion. I wound up changing the distribution block to a disc brake one and I added the hold off valve to the rear cylinders.

That picture illustrates a Four wheel drum brake Master Cylinder , so you may have even more problems than you signed up for ……
I agree now looking at the master cylinder that looks like the one I had with 4 wheel manual drum from before I converted to front disc/rear drum. When I changed mine over to disc I used an adjustable Porp valve instead of the disc one that some change to.

I agree now looking at the master cylinder that looks like the one I had with 4 wheel manual drum from before I converted to front disc/rear drum. When I changed mine over to disc I used an adjustable Porp valve instead of the disc one that some change to.
Would this cause the hard pedal and no play and for the rear drum to lock up?

Would this cause the hard pedal and no play and for the rear drum to lock up?
I would say anything from wrong master? To rear transfer rubber brake hose collapsing inside, to sticky prop valve ( can pull side pin manually to release pressure, Mopar had a tool for this. Buddys GTX had this issue)

So got it fixed, booster was bad, got the correct master, and prop valve and works great. Guess the last owner didnt know what he was doing when he did the disc brake conversion.

So got it fixed, booster was bad, got the correct master, and prop valve and works great. Guess the last owner didnt know what he was doing when he did the disc brake conversion.
So if he did that wrong maybe pull wheels off to see if brake parts were installed correct. Mostly tears with all the moving parts drums have. My 2 cents but if you replaced all the above I’d double check his brake work

So if he did that wrong maybe pull wheels off to see if brake parts were installed correct. Mostly tears with all the moving parts drums have. My 2 cents but if you replaced all the above I’d double check his brake work
Oh I 100% checked all the brake work lol.

So got it all fixed, bad booster, wrong master, wrong brake lines, no prop valve, wheel cylinders where bad and leaking. Some people don't need to work on cars. But got it all fixed.

charger383.jpg

I went through the same learning curve with my 68 Charger. Glad you got it all straightened out in short order. Good Job!
A lot of people think a booster is a booster and don't realize that discs require almost double the boost as drums.

Auto Transport Service
Back