• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Charger junk yard save!

68chargerpilot

Local time
5:30 PM
Reaction score
About 35 years ago my father saved this 383 4 bl 68 Charger from being crushed or rusting away at the junk yard. The aftermarket, and mopar community of today hadn't developed in the mid 80. We ran into problems very quickly.

I, as a mid teen, I stripped the car down and the project never went further. It's been in the family garage ever since. The house is now up for sale so the Charger in all its glory has to be moved. This is how I found it YESTERDAY 10/24/2017. Its mine now and I gonna restore it.

First order of business, find everything that wasn't lost in the junk yard.
20171024_160529.jpg

Some type wreck damage is what lead to this one being DRIVEN to the junk yard by the OWNER! That owner sent my dad to the junk yard to track it down.
20171024_175723.jpg

Very rust free thanks to setting in the garage for 35 years as well as starting it's life off in southern Cali. Passenger compartment looks very good.
20171024_175740.jpg

The worst rust in the car is the middle of the trunk. Some previous owner loved the beach. I remember vacuuming about 1/2 inch of sand out of this area!
20171024_181753.jpg

For a 68 charger, that aint crap for rot or rust. You are a head of the game. Good luck and don't give up. I wish my 66 had that little crap at the back windshield! Pat

I was about to say, that's nothing like most of the hulks I see being restored in this year and model. You are way, way ahead of the game. be glad.

Darren

One of my favorite 68 charger colors....

In reality yours is a very solid charger overall and the typical exterior sheetmetal repairs. I think you have a very good base to start with. I have dealt with many chargers and they are known to be "rust buckets" but yours does not have the features of a true charger rust bucket.

Best of luck on the restoration and I am glad to help with any advice, questions, and parts..

Justin

Last edited:
Front disk brakes. Unfortunately the other fender was lost in the junk yard. I wonder what it's condition is today.
20171024_163959.jpg

Thanks Justin! This is why I have asked for interior pics of this color combination. Especially the interior. Much of the interior was lost in the junk yard.

This project will move along slowly. First of all I have to find everything. Identify what's there and what's missing. Then move it all 450 miles. Once I clear out my garage where I live!!!

It is all numbers matching. I have the original drive train. The driver door, front right fender and everything white inside were lost.

That is a great start to a project I don't think I've ever seen one in that good of shape to start

Would anyone wish to give me your thoughts on that wreck damaged quarter panel. It has no rust like the rest of the car. Just surface. The quarter upper brake has been pushed up but none of the damage actually involves that line. The outer half of the wheel well is also bent in on itself but the bend isnt complicated. I feel confident the wheel well is completely salvageable. Can that bent quarter be straightened or should it be reskined? The lower body line is what i worry about most.

Awww man...The thread title is misleading! I was hoping to read of the OP finding this car in a junkyard recently !

Regarding the car...
That quarter could be saved but since the metal has been stretched, it takes some skill to eliminate the dent and shrink the metal back to an original shape. It might make more sense to put a new quarter panel on it instead.

There is no question that quarter needs to be replaced.....

Auto Transport Service
Back