• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Charger R/T at Mecum

Car #4

Local time
7:07 PM
Reaction score
This beauty sold at Mecum this morning, hammered at $115,000.
So a couple things I noticed, there’s a pentastar logo on the lower right fender but not on the left one. Is this correct? I would guess not but the reason I ask is that I bought a 79 Power Wagon and it was the same way.
The outline of the grill on mine is in silver but on this car it isn’t. Which is correct? Third picture is the auction car and the fourth picture is mine.

IMG_8102.jpeg

IMG_8097.jpeg

IMG_8098.jpeg

IMG_8100.jpeg

I would say the pentastar on the passenger fender only is correct. I dont know about the grille.

That’s interesting. I wonder why they just did it in one side.

So a couple things I noticed, there’s a pentastar logo on the lower right fender but not on the left one. Is this correct? I would guess not but the reason I ask is that I bought a 79 Power Wagon and it was the same way.
The outline of the grill on mine is in silver but on this car it isn’t. Which is correct? Third picture is the auction car and the fourth picture is mine.

View attachment 1588683

View attachment 1588684

View attachment 1588690

View attachment 1588691
Passenger side is correct. 72 and newer Trucks never had them,. Someone put that on yours.

It's amazing what standard basic knowledge is eroding through time.

Factory grill had silver on edges. Most people who restore them make them all black. Whether they prefer it or its too hard to mask is another question.

Factory grill had silver on edges. Most people who restore them make them all black. Whether they prefer it or its too hard to mask is another question.
Cheaper and easier.

Try taping off a 68 GTX tail panel. lol

DSC09663.JPG
DSC09784 (2).JPG
DSC09785 (2).JPG

Your’s may have been a difficult project but it’s also a pristine job on one of the most difficult but beautiful tail pieces ever made. The one thing I never accomplished on my 68 X. Very sweet indeed.
Thanks Kev! Im pretty happy with how it turned out.

Correct, 68's had painted grille edges while 69's & 70's did not.

1705061790832.jpeg

Incorrect the 70 grilles had silver painted edges around the edges and through the center top and bottom. 69 Charger grilles also had silver painted edges as well.

It's true that all three years were painted around the perimeter of the grille, but the verticals on a 69 & 70 are not painted whereas the 68's are. The white Mecum Charger does not have silver paint on the face of the verticals.

1705073937951.png

1705073999601.png

View attachment 1588683

View attachment 1588684

View attachment 1588690

View attachment 1588691
I’m here at Mecum. The white 68 stripe delete car was very nice. The red interior was stunning, perhaps it was the dark rich color, really grabs you. A bunch of wing cars will cross later today and tomorrow. Interesting how many are not all-original, but still a colorful sight to see all together.

To all, check 2023 Mecum auction results in December. Is this the same car that sold for $125,000. If yes why would an owner pay for shipping it home, pay Mecums buyer commission and then turn around and sell it at the next Mecum. What a gig for Mecum to be earning all this commission money. Nice car great color combo but I am scratching my head on this one.

To all, check 2023 Mecum auction results in December. Is this the same car that sold for $125,000. If yes why would an owner pay for shipping it home, pay Mecums buyer commission and then turn around and sell it at the next Mecum. What a gig for Mecum to be earning all this commission money. Nice car great color combo but I am scratching my head on this one.
I've been saying it for years, it's a ponzi scheme..

Auto Transport Service
Back