• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Charger R/T pricing requests

SimDog

Local time
10:05 PM
Reaction score
Ok everyone,

I'm about to make someone's dream come true.

I am considering selling my 68 Charger R/T project. I would like some input on what everyone thinks it's worth.

When I bought this car from my neighbor it was barely more than a shell. It had no drive train and no interior, so it will never be a numbers car. It is a true R/T 440, Auto, PP1 Red, Vinyl top delete, Stripe delete, non A/C, 323 SureGrip. I have purchased loads of parts for it but still do not have everything to complete it. It does have the original VIN plate, fender tag and core support. The car has not been modified away from factory specs yet.

List of what I have for it:

Complete original shell with hood, doors, fenders, trunk lid, grill, dash and some trim pieces
Original glass except for the windshield
Original K member with suspension.
Front bucket and rear seats from a 2007 Charger RT (Leather)
(2) 727 transmissions - one from the RV and one that is 68 Date coded
New Hughes converter 2500 stall
New balanced flex plate
2 rear ends from what I think to be a C body which I planned on modifying one to fit. 1 with 323 gears and a 489 housing with a brand new SureGrip unit and rebuild kit from Dr. Diff. The other has 742 chunk and 293 gears(They were both open diffs when I got them).
New Full AMD left quarter
New quarter skins for both sides (came with the car)
New trunk pan
New rear frame piece that goes behind the rear valance
New rear lower valance
New trunk extensions
New fuel tank
New window fuzzies
Complete setup for disc brakes 13.2 front and 11.8 rears
New Rack and pinion steering setup with pump.
Steering column (no steering wheel)
Gauge cluster with tic-toc-tach

Engine (currently at the machine shop)
1978 440 RV block with 60k miles
New Speed Pro Pistons (will bring compression ratio to near 10.0-1)
Aluminum aftermarket heads 2.140/1.81 valves and gasket match porting
Original crank and rods
New Comp adjustable roller rocker assembly 1.5-1 ratio
New push rods
New Comp Cams XE274H hydraulic flat tappet lifters
New Edlebrock Performer dual plane intake manifold
New oil pump
New aluminum water pump and housing
New 1 7/8 long tube headers
New oil pan w/windage tray

This engine combination should produce around 480hp naturally aspirated. All work is being done by the machine shop as a long block.

I'm sure there are more parts I am forgetting but this should be enough to get a base value of what I have.

Thanks in advance guys and gals.

Last edited:
It says not enough memory when trying to upload pictures. Can anyone help? I can upload pictures on other sites just fine.

Last edited:
Figured out my upload issue. This is the Charger when I got it.

IMG_20160916_125313288_HDR.jpg

This is the stage it's at right now. Ready to start metal work.

IMG_20180320_184354043.jpg

Ok everyone,

I'm about to make someone's dream come true.

I am considering selling my 68 Charger R/T project. I would like some input on what everyone thinks it's worth.

When I bought this car from my neighbor it was barely more than a shell. It had no drive train and no interior, so it will never be a numbers car. It is a true R/T 440, Auto, PP1 Red, Vinyl top delete, Stripe delete, non A/C, 323 SureGrip. I have purchased loads of parts for it but still do not have everything to complete it. It does have the original VIN plate, fender tag and core support. The car has not been modified away from factory specs yet.

List of what I have for it:

Complete original shell with hood, doors, fenders, trunk lid, grill, dash and some trim pieces
Original glass except for the windshield
Original K member with suspension.
Front bucket and rear seats from a 2007 Charger RT (Leather)
(2) 727 transmissions - one from the RV and one that is 68 Date coded
New Hughes converter 2500 stall
New balanced flex plate
2 rear ends from what I think to be a C body which I planned on modifying one to fit. 1 with 323 gears and a 489 housing with a brand new SureGrip unit and rebuild kit from Dr. Diff. The other has 742 chunk and 293 gears(They were both open diffs when I got them).
New Full AMD left quarter
New quarter skins for both sides (came with the car)
New trunk pan
New rear frame piece that goes behind the rear valance
New rear lower valance
New trunk extensions
New fuel tank
New window fuzzies
Complete setup for disc brakes 13.2 front and 11.8 rears
New Rack and pinion steering setup with pump.
Steering column (no steering wheel)
Gauge cluster with tic-toc-tach

Engine (currently at the machine shop)
1978 440 RV block with 60k miles
New Speed Pro Pistons (will bring compression ratio to near 10.0-1)
Aluminum aftermarket heads 2.140/1.81 valves and gasket match porting
Original crank and rods
New Comp adjustable roller rocker assembly 1.5-1 ratio
New push rods
New Comp Cams XE274H hydraulic flat tappet lifters
New Edlebrock Performer dual plane intake manifold
New oil pump
New aluminum water pump and housing
New 1 7/8 long tube headers
New oil pan w/windage tray

This engine combination should produce around 480hp naturally aspirated. All work is being done by the machine shop as a long block.

I'm sure there are more parts I am forgetting but this should be enough to get a base value of what I have.

Thanks in advance guys and gals.

Figure out what you have into it and sell it for 30 cents on the dollar.

QUOTE="Richard Cranium, post: 911149286, member: 9509"]Figure out what you have into it and sell it for 30 cents on the dollar.[/QUOTE]
Dang...that would be scrap price :screwy:

Dang...that would be scrap price :screwy:

As you said...

"When I bought this car from my neighbor it was barely more than a shell. It had no drive train and no interior, so it will never be a numbers car."

The car sounds like it was a stripped out rusty shell when you bought it & the only thing that makes it worth anything is that it is a real R/T. Does it at least have a fender tag & broadcast sheet & dashboard & VIN?

You certainly can't get what you paid for all of the repro & engine parts you have & a 78 motorhome engine & a C-body rear end is less than desirable.

Here's a good formula to go by. A complete nicely done 68 R/T Charger with matching numbers & paperwork is worth in the area of 65-70 large today & you can easily deduct 15 grand for non-matching numbers & no broadcast sheet.

Now, the next step is to figure out what it will cost to put that car back together & you will then have the real value. In the shape that car is currently in, body & paint work will be at least 20 grand and that's just the beginning. Having been through this a few times, when I figure costs, I always add another 40%, but a novice should add at least 60%, because a novice will always figure things low.

Keep in mind that the closer these cars are to stock, the more they will be worth and by the time your car is finished, it's easy to see that you will be upside down financially. I'm not trying to be insulting, rather I am being realistic.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you think it's all worth?

I say as it sits now in the mid to upper 20's. Its gonna cost 20 plus to put it all back together and that's on the conservative end...

It will fetch some coin simply because it is a 68 charger. The biggest issue that I see is all of the hard to find odds and ends parts that are not reproduced. Will pretty much need a doner car for that or pay out the *** piece by piece.

I do have the dash with the VIN in tact, I do have the fender tag, it does have the original core support. I do have a clean clear title. I do not have the broadcast sheet.

Auto Transport Service
Back