• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Charger rear shock crossmember...fix?

Macdon221

Local time
9:31 AM
Reaction score
My car had a bit of a “rattle” in the back. Like something loose in the trunk. After some investigation I have determined that on the passenger side, one side of the rear shock crossmember has come apart from the frame rail. I put a piece of clear rubber hose in the crack to stop the vibration/rubbing to see if it was indeed the issue...and it was.

Here is few photos. Not great I know. Was dark.

Whats the best solution for this?

32B48391-267D-40AC-830F-7F40B5DE6637.png 202629F3-3F33-4F8B-A73A-7FDA187D902B.jpeg 14F780DB-FCF0-4F7F-B32E-CF876F7F55BE.png 75B2409B-6E80-41C0-AAFA-49CA2B99C598.png

That crossmember should be securely welded in place. Not only is it absorbing upward force from the shock bounce, but also has to withstand downward force from jounce. A tire dropping into a pothole or dip in the road - particularly with stiff shocks - will transfer a lot of pulling force on that crossmember.

Yup... And you need to look it over throughly, they use to crack all around the upper structure so that probably isn't the only damage....

I removed the shocks and have had a real good look at the entire piece. There are no other cracks in the crossmember itself. The only separation from the frame is what I have posted in the photos above. One bottom corner only.

A re-weld with a MIG you think would do the trick?

I can weld...but at the "Sesame Street Level". lol Should I grind out a small channel/recess along the existing crack line...or just go right over top? What would be the accepted way to do it?

I really appreciate your help.

I would weld over the top, there isn't really enough metal to grind any kind of groove

Ok.

Great. Thanks for the tips. I will let you know how it turns out!

Auto Transport Service
Back