• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air over leaf helper springs 68 Charger

Pool Fixer

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:36 AM
Reaction score
I currently run hotchkis rear leafs in my charger with 295/50/18

I love the lowered look and I’m happy with handling. With me alone in the car or with a front passenger, it’s fine. With a big guy sitting in the back or the trunk loaded up, I get some tire rub. I’ve already clearanced the insideois hump from my outer wheel wells.

I was thinking about adding a couple of airbags back there to utilize when needed. I’ve never heard this mentioned before on the various mopar forums I go on so part of me thinks there’s a reason for that….like it’s a dumb idea.

I’d like to hear any input you may have.

It’s an unconventional solution, but if you can figure out how to fit them in there it would work. It will require some serious fabrication to make it happen…

I would just call Espo and buy the right spring for the car.

Thanks for the responses..

I'm pretty committed to the wheels/tires/stance that I have. I'd like to do everything I could to mitigate the rubbing some other way.... also, this is not an issue with just 2 front passengers in the car. Its an issue when someone sits in the back or trunk is loaded up.

Instead of a permanent solution, my hope was to be able to raise the height an inch or two only when I need.

Thanks for the responses..

I'm pretty committed to the wheels/tires/stance that I have. I'd like to do everything I could to mitigate the rubbing some other way.... also, this is not an issue with just 2 front passengers in the car. Its an issue when someone sits in the back or trunk is loaded up.

Instead of a permanent solution, my hope was to be able to raise the height an inch or two only when I need.
Then chop cut and rebuild.

I currently run hotchkis rear leafs in my charger with 295/50/18

I love the lowered look and I’m happy with handling. With me alone in the car or with a front passenger, it’s fine. With a big guy sitting in the back or the trunk loaded up, I get some tire rub. I’ve already clearanced the insideois hump from my outer wheel wells.

I was thinking about adding a couple of airbags back there to utilize when needed. I’ve never heard this mentioned before on the various mopar forums I go on so part of me thinks there’s a reason for that….like it’s a dumb idea.

I’d like to hear any input you may have.
Front and Rear Air Suspension System | 1968-1970 Mopar B-Body - Ridetech

What prompted this thread was that over the summer, I had a 220lb friend sitting in back, and 2 of us in the front. I heard the tires rub on a couple of bumps.

So... after reading some of the responses to this thread and realizing the air over leafs may not be my best idea...I went out into my shop and looked at the car again.

It turns out what I really heard was One tire, not both tires.

this is what happens when you let a car sit for 8 years.... you forget what you actually did to it before lol. I had stated that the humps in the outer wheel houses were removed. I was half right. We only did the drivers side- the side which has zero witness marks and in fact, the tires generally have a lot of room. I was in no rush to go back to my friends house to do the pass side because this wasn't an issue unless I had full size people in the back. At the time my kids were young and between the two of them, they weighed 100 lbs.

i've got 2 5/8" between the tire and the quarter... without rolling the lip. I've got more than 1" between the tire and the inner wheel well.

Basically I started this discussion for nothing. My apologies. Oh, as if I didn't f up enough aleady. my tires are 295/45/18, not 295/50/18

Outer clearance and witness mark
IMG_4426.jpeg

Inner clearance.
IMG_4446.jpeg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back