• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Charger Vin

Chris Brown

Local time
10:43 AM
Reaction score
Hey, I picked up 2 '68 Charger projects a while back (one parts car & one good shell).
The parts car is a factory 318 (F Code) car & has its vin plate & fender tag, while the shell (the one I'm building), is a factory 383 2bbl car (G Code).

My issue is that while the 383 car has its fender tag, its missing its Vin plate as someone took the dash pad & frame before I bought the cars.
I really don't want to put a state issued vin on the car, nor do I want an F code vin on a G code car...

What are my options?
Cheers!

Hey, I picked up 2 '68 Charger projects a while back (one parts car & one good shell).
The parts car is a factory 318 (F Code) car & has its vin plate & fender tag, while the shell (the one I'm building), is a factory 383 2bbl car (G Code).

My issue is that while the 383 car has its fender tag, its missing its Vin plate as someone took the dash pad & frame before I bought the cars.
I really don't want to put a state issued vin on the car, nor do I want an F code vin on a G code car...

What are my options?
Cheers!
The one with the missing VIN plate do you have the title for that car?

Can you get one without a Vin though? Will they issue a state Vin at that point?
Not sure. State to state as well as country to country all have their own rules. You have to check if they will issue a title with a bill of sale. Some states will. Not sure if a car inspection is required.

I really don't want to put a state issued vin on the car
You don't live in a "state" unless your location is bogus. Go down to a Service Ontario location, not the one you would normally use! Ask them what is required if you acquired "an old historical car in a field with no ownership" and see what they say you need to do to register it. Probably just a declaration before a town clerk or similar.

Not sure. State to state as well as country to country all have their own rules. You have to check if they will issue a title with a bill of sale. Some states will. Not sure if a car inspection is
I'll have to look into it.

You don't live in a "state" unless your location is bogus. Go down to a Service Ontario location, not the one you would normally use! Ask them what is required if you acquired "an old historical car in a field with no ownership" and see what they say you need to do to register it. Probably just a declaration before a town clerk or similar.
Haha you're right, I just didn't want to muddy the water with the whole provincially issued vin thing.
That's a good point, I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask. I guess I figured that a clerk there wouldn't know and refer me to a website that didn't have the answer.

Haha you're right, I just didn't want to muddy the water with the whole provincially issued vin thing.
That's a good point, I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask. I guess I figured that a clerk there wouldn't know and refer me to a website that didn't have the answer.
The only way it will get real muddy is if you have illegally obtained these cars. Dadsbee gave you the logical approach. No sense second guessing sane logic.

The only way it will get real muddy is if you have illegally obtained these cars. Dadsbee gave you the logical approach. No sense second guessing sane logic.
:lol:I meant nothing like that haha, I meant that I just didn't want to have to explain the Canadian system as I assumed that most people on the forum would be American.

:lol:I meant nothing like that haha, I meant that I just didn't want to have to explain the Canadian system as I assumed that most people on the forum would be American.
Bubba your bunk mate might have to explain the vehicle title laws to you. Kind of like playing Corn hole or Twister by prison rules.

Bubba your bunk mate might have to explain the vehicle title laws to you. Kind of like playing Corn hole or Twister by prison rules.
I'm afraid those references when right over my head...
Anyways, I just thought I'd use the American terms (state vs. province) such as to eliminate any room for miscommunications... That's it, all I meant by "Canadian System".
I purchased both cars legally and have the bill of sale for both of them.
Not sure if you're insinuating otherwise or I'm missing the emphasis through text but where I bought the cars from (Alberta), you only need a bill of sale.

If you do not has the dash with the metal vin tag on it you should first go to MTO and spend $20 for a car title search with the number you think it is just in case who ever has the dash frame is already using that vin . If nothing shows up what will you do if a year or two from now another car gets an ownership with the dash tag that is missing from your car ??? Think if you do not have the metal dash tag you are out of luck using that number :(

If you purchased the cars in Alberta, I assume they were never registered in Ontario, so unfortunately, the MTO office is not going to be much help with tracing the original VIN number. However, it wouldn't hurt to use Dadsbee's suggested approach to give you an idea where you stand. You may have to reach out to the Alberta version of the MTO if that is where the vehicles were last registered.

Just my opinion.

If both bodies are in about the same shape just register the 318 car and put any drivetrain in it you want. It will never be a numbers matching car but neither would 383 car plus the 383 car wold have a state issued VIN. While I’d be ok with a car with a motor swap I’d never get involved with a car with a State issued VIN.

I'm afraid those references when right over my head...
Anyways, I just thought I'd use the American terms (state vs. province) such as to eliminate any room for miscommunications... That's it, all I meant by "Canadian System".
I purchased both cars legally and have the bill of sale for both of them.
Not sure if you're insinuating otherwise or I'm missing the emphasis through text but where I bought the cars from (Alberta), you only need a bill of sale.
Yes, you only need a bill of sale here. I sold a Challenger to Quebec though and he needed a pink card to get it legal back there. I simply registered the car in my name under my vintage tag, sold it to him, and he got a vintage plate and registered it in his name. He had to supply an Alberta address to get the tag. That car was still in the system, so it was an easy process. This is semi but not fully related to your scenario. Where did you get this car? Granum? There is a chance that dash is still around somewhere. However slight. But if it was the Granum cars, it would be unlikely.

If you do not has the dash with the metal vin tag on it you should first go to MTO and spend $20 for a car title search with the number you think it is just in case who ever has the dash frame is already using that vin . If nothing shows up what will you do if a year or two from now another car gets an ownership with the dash tag that is missing from your car ??? Think if you do not have the metal dash tag you are out of luck using that number :(
That's a good point, I forgot you could do a title search. Although I doubt it would be in the system, how would I guess the original vin? Apart from it being XP29G8B, I'm not sure what I'd say. (Also I'm assuming it would be a "B" as it was an export car for Canada and I remember hearing somewhere that all export cars were built at Hamtramck. Although I'm not %100 on that).

Auto Transport Service
Back