• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'68 Coronet R/T 30 year project

Great looking R/T! Thanks for sharing. Nice it has the rocker trim and wheelwell trim.
Not 100% but I'm pretty sure both are standard on the R/T... Always loved the 68 R/T..

Now 100% I just dug into the 1968 Data Book & it is confirmed... Standard Equipment...

Last edited:
Wow! Beautiful. You must be so happy holding the car for so long.

I wish I had done the same.
Enjoy!!!

Owned since 1988. Just about worn out. That’s the target.

4B76458C-0769-43A9-9C52-5D8E6455227E.png

Not 100% but I'm pretty sure both are standard on the R/T... Always loved the 68 R/T..

Now 100% I just dug into the 1968 Data Book & it is confirmed... Standard Equipment...
Yep, same as on the brother GTX that year.

I love the dang thing myself, @4speed68rt !!
congrats.jpg
(P.S. Dennis' R/T is worthy of reading up on some here on the forum - and it ain't "worn out" :) ).

This post makes me sad. I found a 68 R/T in this same color on a used car lot way back when I was a teenager. It was really nice, about 9 or 10 years old at the time. I wanted it badly, but didn't have the $$ to buy it. A guy I didn't know well from my same high school ended up with it for a year or two, then it disappeared. Several years later (probably 1983 or so), I ran into him and asked about the car. He said he had blown the engine, and his Dad had taken a bulldozer and crushed it and buried it on the mountain along with several other old junk cars.
:(
Just Dayum…

Yes it is standard. It is just so common to see them missing these days.

The rocker trim is the original ones that came on the car from the factory, I had to massage them a little. The wheel wells had the holes for the moldings but they were missing when I bought the car. I bought the ones that are on there from eldubb and the holes lined up perfectly. Definitely an original option.

It’s great that you guys have had your cars so long and have been using them. I’ve had my GTX since 91 and have only driven it around the block twice, and that was 10 years ago . Gonna see if I can’t get it road worthy this summer. Again, lovin the turquoise
Travis..

Thank you. That is how it all started for me, Phantomx, I just wanted to take it out for a ride, so I started cleaning it up, and airing up the tires... I found the "new" tires and wheels first, then it looked so much better that I had to clean up the motor, and change the oil and put new plugs... then there was the header leak, so I ordered the "good" gaskets, then I found the front bucket seats that matched the original back seats, so I had to buy them, then I had to do something about the white paint, so I started with the power washer and found the original turquoise paint underneath that, then I started sanding the whole thing until I got "every spec" of white paint off of it, then, the patches, then I met a painter near my work, and here we are now...
Remember "man built it so, man can fix it". Just do your research, (FBBO, mainly) and dig in like you are a pro. Dont be scared to mess something up, just do it. Keep making progress, a little at a time, and before you know it, you will be cruising around the block again.

Yup, I just need to devote some time and money to it. I got stalled out ont the X when I bought my first house and it was in paint prison. It didn’t get painted due to the house, just the body done with a few things that still need attention. It came home and became a garage ornament. I got into off-roading and then sold my daily 67 Barracuda and basically left cars behind for almost 20 years to pursue the great outdoors. 10 years ago when I was at the 20 year anniversary, I did a ring n bearing on a 440, assembled it to the clutch, flywheel, and bell that I sourced when I first got the car, did the brakes, and drove it for the first time since I owned it….twice around the block with no windows and sitting on a bag of concrete :). Anywho, enough of that.
Travis..

Very similar story here. I still have a yard full of 4 x 4s. They were a great learning experience as far as building and fixing vehicles, and I had a lot of fun with them, but now I dont have the desire to go off road any more. I also did a few years of dirt track racing, also great experience of fixing stuff. The old faithful Mopar is still there for me after all of those years of neglect. Haha. Don't give up. Show us some pics of that X.

Thank you, your red one is nice as well.

Auto Transport Service
Back