• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Coronet R/T Questions

Pretty odd to see it without a console or Rallye dash. Also, no power steering or brakes. But it does have the 26" radiator, which could be part of the Dana axle package.

This ‘68 R/T didn’t have the Rallye dash either. It was an A/C car though. I recently sold it.

37C1D4D1-EBC5-4180-97FC-CA82A114F153.png

088735ED-D9E3-4285-9F68-CD4AAAD31ED0.png

2063CC52-CE32-458B-AF05-4685AA941B60.png

Mine has the standard 150 sweep with the "0s" ,tach and black carpet with the 4 speed.

I'm seeing prices going crazy low and all over the scale currently. The car looks very nice anything below 40k would be low balling in my opinion.

Back when I first bought my R/T I showed Galen the fender tag, amongst the codes was a 7 under the T.... That's the code for Tachometer... Doesn't specify whether its a Rally Cluster or a Sweep Cluster with the postage stamp tach..... His first comment was "Rally Dash" I wondered how he could tell since the rally dash isn't coded on the fender tag... Later Doug AKA 69CoronetRT told me Galen had made an educated guess based on the fact something like 22% of R/T's got a tachometer but only 4% got the tach with a sweep style speedometer..

This use to be a Moparts member's car I believe. Sure does look a lot like his old car. I think his username was LtDan now McLovin's old car. If that is his car here was the parts on it from 11 years ago.

"68 Coronet R/T

reliable 12 second street car; typically runs 12.7-12.8s at 105-107 on street tires and its 3800 lbs.

all old school, proven parts:

original 440 block
completely stock bottom end; Ive had the car since 1998 and never touched the crank or rods
the prize is in the cylinder heads: ported and polished 906 heads with "undisclosed specs" by a known Mopar machinist (thought about going aluminum but was talked out of it by Herb McCandless)
old school .509 Purple Shaft cam
old school TM7 intake
Holley Street Avenger 870 carb with some massaging to ~950 cfm
MSD ignition
8 qt Milodon oil pan w HP pickup and pump
old rusty mystery headers, 3" exhaust with Thrush Turbo mufflers-quiet but authoritative with an idle that sounds like Van Halen's "Hot For Teacher"

stock 18 spline 4 speed w Centerforce clutch (which I hate, I miss my old Hayes clutch)
stock rebuilt Dana 60 & 3.54s"

This use to be a Moparts member's car I believe. Sure does look a lot like his old car. I think his username was LtDan now McLovin's old car. If that is his car here was the parts on it from 11 years ago.

"68 Coronet R/T

reliable 12 second street car; typically runs 12.7-12.8s at 105-107 on street tires and its 3800 lbs.

all old school, proven parts:

original 440 block
completely stock bottom end; Ive had the car since 1998 and never touched the crank or rods
the prize is in the cylinder heads: ported and polished 906 heads with "undisclosed specs" by a known Mopar machinist (thought about going aluminum but was talked out of it by Herb McCandless)
old school .509 Purple Shaft cam
old school TM7 intake
Holley Street Avenger 870 carb with some massaging to ~950 cfm
MSD ignition
8 qt Milodon oil pan w HP pickup and pump
old rusty mystery headers, 3" exhaust with Thrush Turbo mufflers-quiet but authoritative with an idle that sounds like Van Halen's "Hot For Teacher"

stock 18 spline 4 speed w Centerforce clutch (which I hate, I miss my old Hayes clutch)
stock rebuilt Dana 60 & 3.54s"
I truly don't know who's car it was previously. I watched it go through at least three different owners/dealers before acquiring it.
20210902_142509.jpg

Do these old, funky aftermarket gauges ring any bells. I removed all that crap, replaced the radio, dash pad, and numerous other things dash related. I also replaced the engine harness which just did run the engine, but didn't supply the wipers, washers, horns, or charging circuit. I also put stock valve covers on it to replace rusty beat up chrome ones. Under the valve covers looks almost new, so I figured rebuilt, but know no other spec's. It doesn't sound like a 509 cam to me, but I could be wrong as the car performs great. About all I could say positive about the car when I got it, was it wasn't rusty, and the engine ran great. Otherwise much has been done to make it a good and decent street car with most things returned to original. I say the car saw a lot of track duty at one time, probably without the original drivetrain as there were indications that it had an automatic in it at one time.
Any other information as to history is appreciated.

The wheels I think is what gave it away. He had pictures of it at I'm not sure who he sold it to and what year exactly. I want to say he might of sold it 7-8 years ago if not longer. The photos I attached to this is from 2008-2009. I think he put the Keystones on afterwards. Looks like the same car to me but, it's hard to say. If it matches this information, then it could be the car. Should also note it was sold by Chrysler Military Sales as well.

"OK all you numbers guys, I need help with this
biggrin.gif

The build date on my '68 Coronet fender tag is barely legible, it LOOKS like 514 but Im told the VIN is too high and I only have parts of the build sheet. Could it be 814?-but I though the cut off was the first week of August? Its a St Louis car, the sequence # is 246XXX, and the VIN is WS23L8G282XXX. If you think you can nail it down to within a day or two for me, I'll PM the rest of the VIN.

And just out of curiosity, does anyone know of a higher 1968 St Louis VIN?

Thanks guys!"

68Dodge.JPG

68dodge2.JPG

Also, I found this posting: " I have a 68 Coronet R/T that was built on July 15 at St Louis. From what Ive been told by the "experts," my car was built on the last day of production at STL in 1968 so you also have a pretty late build car. You could have some 1969 parts on it like the leading edge of the hood should be drilled for the '69 grille insert and your door buttons might be chrome instead of black.

I think the 90 day rule is pretty accurate, my block has a May 1968 casting date but the VIN is not stamped on the oil pan rail and I havent checked the back of the block"

I hope this helps.

Mine has the standard 150 sweep with the "0s" ,tach and black carpet with the 4 speed.
I don’t believe any ‘68 Coronet R/T had the Charger dash and cluster. Oddly, every ‘68 Super Bee did. If the tachometer was ordered, it would have been the corresponding unit.

As stated in an earlier reply to this thread, I owned a '68 R/T back in the early '80's that did have the rally dash with a tach. It was a US spec car, as I purchased it from Montana. The car still exists and is located in the St. Catherines Ontario area. In response to earlier posts, it was green with green interior, including buddy seat, but being a 4spd. had black carpet.

As stated in an earlier reply to this thread, I owned a '68 R/T back in the early '80's that did have the rally dash with a tach. It was a US spec car, as I purchased it from Montana. The car still exists and is located in the St. Catherines Ontario area. In response to earlier posts, it was green with green interior, including buddy seat, but being a 4spd. had black carpet.
Never say never. I haven’t seen one. I was told by a guy that had a ‘70 Charger that it had the standard Coronet dash with the 120 MPH speedo. I haven’t seen one of those either. :)

Mine is an early car. Built 9/29/67 in St. Louis. it has chrome door buttons. Here is a preview of my car.. I am not quite done with it. Glad this old thread got revived, lots of great info.

20221201_190507.jpg

20221201_190738.jpg

I don’t believe any ‘68 Coronet R/T had the Charger dash and cluster. Oddly, every ‘68 Super Bee did. If the tachometer was ordered, it would have been the corresponding unit.
Well, your belief is incorrect.... About 18% of 68 Coronet R/T's got the rally dash with Tic Tok Tach...

Well, your belief is incorrect.... About 18% of 68 Coronet R/T's got the rally dash with Tic Tok Tach...
As I said… Never say never. An interesting find back in the 80’s. I was checking the junkyards and a “new” ‘69 Belvedere 4 door /6 904 came in. It had postage stamp tach in it. I grabbed the whole cluster and the wiring. Everything looked factory. I didn’t check for N85 on the fender tag. But it may have been missing or a Lynch Rd. Car, so I’ll never know. But it was a factory option on the Belvedere.

Auto Transport Service
Back