• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'68 GTX Fender Tag

Tag for the red car shows a red/black 440 4 speed Dana GTX with buckets & console and no radio.

The blue car looked OK from here for the money. That steering wheel would have to go away real quickly.
Yes, is what the Red X is, a 440/4 gear/dana/bucket car. Stroked hemi currently in the engine compartment. I have pricing with both engines or just the hemi. I've been there again since and body numbers match the fender tag. Questioned the 120 speedo and got "I never noticed, will ask the original owner". The pessimist in me think it's a rebodied Road Runner... and the radio in place might be another tip off!

QQ1 car color wasn't quite right, dried out bondo cracks on the drivers upper quarter, hood and a fender. That said, I should have probably bought it while I was there and cleaned it up.

Does he know any history on this red car? Some of these Cars led hard lives and were parted and left for dead. A red 4 speed is worth saving. Maybe it got pieced back together. Many people want a radio, and it’s cheaper and easier than finding the correct blank woodgrain plate for a GTX.

Have to check body numbers to know.

very presumptive to hink it’s a rebodied RR just because of a speedo and a radio. Maybe it had a dash wiring meltdown or fire?

On the blue car, when you see bondo cracking under the paint it’s a quick turn off and repairs will add up quickly.

Last edited:
About 20 years ago, an acquaintance bought a 1969 GTX convert from a second owner. Quite a few people new the car from new. It had a 120 speedo and 22 inch rad. I talked to a few who knew the car, and they said 120 speedo. Might be another of those never made.

FWIW I have a buddy that bought a 69 GTX new of the lot, it was coded for a basic AM radio but he had them swap in a AM/FM.. I'm sure another new car lost it's AM/FM... Since he bought the car from Bayshore C/P & lives in the valley they made the radio swap happen that day, they could have ordered a new AM/FM for the donor car or chances are it wound up getting his AM radio.... Swapped radio wouldn't worry me at all... Speedometer, little tougher to swap but stuff happens, it's a 50 year old car..... If the body numbers match & haven't been tampered with....

22” radIator was standard on a automatic 3.23 GTX 1968 and newer.

I’d say that was a bad idea but it’s what they did.
The 1967 GTX all had a 26” rad.

As for the 120 speedometer in the convert, has anybody ever worked at a car dealership and see the shenanigans that went on? Crazy things were done to them.

Last edited:
The owner of my 66 Satellite had the dealer install a 67 150 mph speedometer. I have the original 120 mph speedometer I believe is the 150 speedometer box, never checked that.

Auto Transport Service
Back