• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'68 GTX Fender Tag

Its a 50 year old Mopar, so , of course there s rust, somewhere. But prolly not much under the vinyl top. Most car guys, that have the funds, ensure the roof is as good as possible before installing a top. And by the looks of that one , I assume it has been kept indoors mainly since then. I personally like vinyl tops and put them back on all my resto s IF they came with one. But, if it bugs you, once its yours , rip it off and replace. I like the headrests.....as my 68 does not have them :( .......

I'd say the top is original, considering the yellowing on it. Don't think it's ever been pulled off..

Don't matter no more, Dave sold it this afternoon. Guess it's onward and upwards... :rolleyes::fool:
1968gtxqq1 031.JPG

Not that it matters, but that blue GTX would have been more than welcomed here next to Fred.
A fella like me has never had the opportunity to have champagne taste....
seems there's always been some (usually medical) creditor somewhere that thinks they need
my money more than I do. :)

...and let's face it, these cars were never as pretty "back then" as some of them are nowadays.
Yeah, cars like that blue one need love, too - even if it's just to preserve what they are now if one
can't afford any better than that.

Well someone saved her Ed. but $44K Cdn all in was pretty steep for what she was. Had nothing to do with champagne or baby duck...

Well someone saved her Ed. but $44K Cdn all in was pretty steep for what she was. Had nothing to do with champagne or baby duck...
Mmmmm baby Huey.....errr, duck.
Aye, that's a bit rich for one that needs what you say. Did you counter at all?

Best I would have got him down to was 41/42.. just didn't make me smile. That's $31.5K US today..

That’s a beaut!!!
I had a 68 Satellite Sport with that interior in high school
Nice

Was giving deep thought on the PP1 with the Hemi stuck in it, and already did some price negotiating, but then while looking over my pictures realized it has a 120mph Speedo in it! Is this correct... or are GTX's not all 150 MPH speedos. The QQ1 car had a 150. What on the fender tag denotes a GTX?? I assume the RS23!? 440 x 4 gear W/3.54 Dana. Console, buckets but is it really a GTX?
1968gtxqq1 034.JPG

1968gtxqq1 032.JPG

1968gtxqq1 035.JPG

Last edited:
It should have the 150 sweep... SPD 3 days after my vert...

RS23J8G. The S makes it a GTX

Thanks, wish I'd looked for body stamps while I was there..

I'm sure you know on a 68 they don't match the VIN, they will match the SO number on the fender tag.... Only way to tie the VIN to the SO is a broadcast sheet....

Yeah, all 68 GTX's had 150 MPH speedo's Period! If the vin has a "J" in it, it's a Hemi.
Check the top of the block back by the oil sending unit where the bellhousing meets the block
for partial V.I.N. numbers stamped there. Also, numbers stamped on top of driver's side
core support, and numbers stamped on quarter panel lip just inside the sealing gasket
surface when you open the trunk. all must match

As noted "Hemi stuck in it".. it's a 440/4gear/Dana car by the fender tag. Just wish I'd checked body stamps while I was there as it's a FULL day going there and back again and I don't want to seem that interested! LOL

To offset your interest in the car, you might want to call them and ask why the wrong speedo
is in the car? The DMV might not like that someone tinkered with the Odometer! Ha!
Ask for some pictures of the number stampings so you don't have to drive there? Run the VIN
with the local police to see if the car is legit. Good luck!

Tag for the red car shows a red/black 440 4 speed Dana GTX with buckets & console and no radio.

The blue car looked OK from here for the money. That steering wheel would have to go away real quickly.

I looked at a similar car 5 years ago QQ1 and blue interior. Original owners family still owned it, all paperwork with it all #’s with 80K miles. Sadly they painted it B5 and painted over many chips on top of the rear quarter and roof pillar. They wouldn’t let me drive it, only ride in it. I told them I’d just drive normally for 5 minutes with them in the pass seat. NO WAY! Was very odd and I walked away.

Auto Transport Service
Back