• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 identification numbers

Car #4

Local time
11:12 AM
Reaction score
Did 68 Chargers get the VIN number stamped on the rad support and trunk rail or anywhere other than the dash VIN and FT. I thought I read that this didn’t start until 69 but then sometimes I see a car advertised and they say the rad or trunk numbers match.

69 was the first year tag, body and title match. 68 has the SO numbers tag and body.

Were ‘68 Chargers made at Lynch Rd? I have two ‘68 Satellites and one I parted but still have the rad support. They are all Lynch Rd. There are no stamped numbers. And I have all three VON’s that should match. I also have a St. Louis ‘68 that has the VON on the rad support. I haven’t checked the trunk, but the car has OG paint and had never been wrecked.

For 68...
SO = Shipping Order. It's is on the fender tag, radiator support and trunk lip.
The VIN is on VIN plate, and likely/possibly/probably on engine and tranny
68_tag_radiator_trunkrail.jpg
68_VIN_engine_tranny.jpg
68_SO_Number_750.jpg

Were ‘68 Chargers made at Lynch Rd? I have two ‘68 Satellites and one I parted but still have the rad support. They are all Lynch Rd. There are no stamped numbers. And I have all three VON’s that should match. I also have a St. Louis ‘68 that has the VON on the rad support. I haven’t checked the trunk, but the car has OG paint and had never been wrecked.

No. '68 Chargers were made only at the Hamtramck plant until early March of 68 when St. Louis helped with demand and started producing Chargers too.

No. '68 Chargers were made only at the Hamtramck plant until early March of 68 when St. Louis started producing Chargers too.

Have you noticed the lack of stamps on Lynch Rd. cars? Mine are all later 1968 production.

On my 68 charger I only have a SO # on the trunk lip. Didn't have the fender tag or broadcast sheet when I got it.

I don’t have fender tag or build sheet either. So I guess technically my VIN tag could have been from another car and there is no way to prove or disprove that. It’s not the original engine.

I don’t have fender tag or build sheet either. So I guess technically my VIN tag could have been from another car and there is no way to prove or disprove that. It’s not the original engine.
Yup.

Have you noticed the lack of stamps on Lynch Rd. cars? Mine are all later 1968 production.
Baby Blue, my former '68 GTX was a relatively early build Lynch Road car (December '67), and I never could locate the SO number on the radiator support. Car did have the VIN stamped on the engine and transmission. My '68 Hemi GTX, a February Lynch Road car, has all the numbers in place.

Baby Blue, my former '68 GTX was a relatively early build Lynch Road car (December '67), and I never could locate the SO number on the radiator support. Car did have the VIN stamped on the engine and transmission. My '68 Hemi GTX, a February Lynch Road car, has all the numbers in place.
Most likely the core support had been replaced at some time.

Not really. I know several people who don't have a SO #s on the radiator support. Mine is a Dec 67 build and the radiator support was original. Things were not standard at all plants. Mine came from Hamtramick.

Bought the car from the second owner in 1983. The original owner was a friend of his father. The car was documented back to day one, all original paint and decals in the engine compartment when I bought it. No question the core support was the original.

My 68 Charger is also an really early build 7/30/1967. ( SO#-101883) It has all the stampings that 68CoronetRT illustrated just above.

Same here on my 68 runner from Lynch Rd. The numbers themselves on the support were very very light stampings and the year and Factory build code were almost non existent. I think they just slammed through what they could and if the "punch machine" was not punching worth a damn, there were some that got light marks that pretty much filled in with paint.

Auto Transport Service
Back