• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 RM23 Roadrunner, The rebuild of an old friend

Me too. Some days I really get into it, most days it's a mind numbing experience.
As a rule, never, ever bitch about what a body shop charges, especially for a quality job.
It is a **** ton of work.
I hear that!!! Been chipping away at a truck for my dad, think it's done and find a few more spots:BangHead:.

Your work is looking top notch:thumbsup:

Blackout treatment done over the weekend. 4 Hours of masking, 20 minutes of shooting.
IMG_1875.jpg

Good job Runner 68!
I just finished doing the same on my 71 Runner.
But I didn't spray, I used a small foam roller along with a 1" wide paintbrush.
Oct 4 (3).jpg
Oct 4 (2).jpg

Ok I'm going to have to get to work on my car. So I can shoot some pics. I hope another pearl white is welcome and the blackout treatment as well.

Well it sure in the hell would have saved a ton of masking! Great idea. How did it flow out for you?
Actually, it wasn't bad at all. The paint I used is called Tremclad which is the US version of Rustoleum. I used semi-gloss black. The trick is the foam roller.
Once it's rolled on it does level itself. The finish will never bee the same as spraying it, but alot of it will be covered up with parts once assembled.

Actually, it wasn't bad at all. The paint I used is called Tremclad which is the US version of Rustoleum. I used semi-gloss black. The trick is the foam roller.
Once it's rolled on it does level itself. The finish will never bee the same as spraying it, but alot of it will be covered up with parts once assembled.
I have a few dry spots shooting it that pissed me off which is expected with an irregular surface / area. You're right, it really doesn't matter unless you are going for "concours", which most of us aren't. Nobody will ever look at it or see it. The way they did it in mass production back in the day looks like hell in my opinion, as with many things on these cars. Overspray, runs, sloppy craftsmanship, etc. But I suppose that is the allure for some people.

I have a few dry spots shooting it that pissed me off which is expected with an irregular surface / area. You're right, it really doesn't matter unless you are going for "concours", which most of us aren't. Nobody will ever look at it or see it. The way they did it in mass production back in the day looks like hell in my opinion, as with many things on these cars. Overspray, runs, sloppy craftsmanship, etc. But I suppose that is the allure for some people.
That is a understatement. Better is better. Well I ( my wife and I) were cleaning out my building so I can start working on my car and lo and behold a black racer was coiled up beside my air compressor. It hissed and struck and started chasing my wife and then turned toward me. To hell with that building. I went and bought $44 worth of mothballs and snake away. I hadn't moved that fast in years getting the f*** out of there

That is a understatement. Better is better. Well I ( my wife and I) were cleaning out my building so I can start working on my car and lo and behold a black racer was coiled up beside my air compressor. It hissed and struck and started chasing my wife and then turned toward me. To hell with that building. I went and bought $44 worth of mothballs and snake away. I hadn't moved that fast in years getting the f*** out of there
I'm thinking a good shovel would have made short work out of that black racer.

Gotta be around a snake with a shovel. When I ran out the building I was no longer near the snake or a shovel. My wife screamed almost fell down and I bout trampled her *** lol. Nah I went back in with a ho but didn't see it( thank God)

Gotta be around a snake with a shovel. When I ran out the building I was no longer near the snake or a shovel. My wife screamed almost fell down and I bout trampled her *** lol. Nah I went back in with a ho but didn't see it( thank God)
I can see it by your description LMAO (Why don't we have emojis anymore?)
Reminds me of an old joke. "My sister was a hoe and she didn't look anything like that". (LMAO eomji inserted here)
In my experience a shovel is the better tool for the job. You can smack and cut with one tool (LMAO emoji inserted here)

Last edited:
I can see it by your description LMAO (Why don't we have emojis anymore?)
Reminds me of an old joke. "My sister was a hoe and she didn't look anything like that". (LMAO eomji inserted here)
In my experience a shovel is the better tool for the job. You can smack and cut with one tool (LMAO emoji inserted here)
haha dont bust a gut laughing lol

Auto Transport Service
Back