• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Road Runner problem

bbodyrich

Local time
6:56 PM
Reaction score
I have developed a problem with my 68 Road Runner. It seems that when I drive it, and this has started in the past year, and it gets good and warmed up and when it sits and idles for awhile it will die and I won't be able to start it until it cools down. This is a 383 car with manual transmission. Any ideas?

could it be fuel boiling in the carb? do you have a spacer under the carb?

could it be fuel boiling in the carb? do you have a spacer under the carb?

I do have a wood spacer under the carb. I think you are right about the boiling but why is it doing it now and what's the fix?

maybe a phenolic spacer would dissipate more heat? not sure, just spit-balling...

I do have a wood spacer under the carb. I think you are right about the boiling but why is it doing it now and what's the fix?

The REASON this is happening is systemic across America wirth the new GASOLINE FORMULA being offered to the public.
The new formula is only set-up for "fuel Injected" vehicles whereby they stay pressurized in a closed system, not for Carbureation.

The "Muscle Car" owners and other vintage owners are experiencing many more problems with this gasoline formula.

So, "we" must insure our fuel systems are performing at "Best Optimal" performance.

Ensure your fuel line is not near heat, such as exhaust manifolds etc.

super-bee_ski got it right. I insulated my lines from the tank to the pump last year and no more problems. Then I put some insulation blankets around the tail pipe neaer the tank. I also dumped the wood and went with a phenolic spacer. Summers here hit 110/115 on a regular basis.

Thanks guys. Just wondering if a weak fuel pump might also be a problem when it gets hot? Maybe the diagphram is affected by the heat??

Auto Transport Service
Back