• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Road Runner Project-First Mopar

It was an interesting day with several lessons learned (like don't use cheap plastic to mask). My big struggle is to slow down-the last few years I have been involved in building boats and with Gel Coat time is of the essence so I tend to rush, telling myself to relax and slow down is constant. Overall it turned out good but at times I was starting to wonder. Since I don't have the luxury of a shop and I only paint one car every once in a while I put together a makeshift booth that worked out pretty well. It kept things clean and with 2 fans running on opposite ends it kept the fog to a minimum. I am trying something new for me it's called listening......so I am following SPI's "Perfect paint job" write up on there web site by only applying 3 coats of their clear this go around, sand/block on Thursday and then probably Friday I will shoot 3-4 more coats, that is supposed to keep the urethane wave to a minimum. Next week things can start going back together!

64307292486__C8FF249B-AB75-4E71-8CDE-6ADB47544B3C.jpg
IMG_1544.jpg
IMG_1542.jpg
IMG_1541.jpg
IMG_1540.jpg

Moving right along I started painting suspension parts this week. Fortunately quite a bit of it was already blasted so it was just a little touch up blasting and paint. The rear end was not cleaned up but some dollar store oven cleaner and a little sanding and it was ready for paint tomorrow. Kinda tight next to the house but I am making it happen...........just have to wait until my next door neighbor goes to work before I spray :lol:.

IMG_1560.jpg
IMG_1559.jpg
IMG_1558.jpg
IMG_1557.jpg
IMG_1561.jpg

Looking Good! I'm glad all that is behind me now but it is part of the fun seeing the car come together. Keep on truckin! ruffcut

Like many of us I get caught up on what I am doing and always think about pics after I am past the point where I should have taken more pics. Anyway I have been making progress, cut and buffing took the better part of a week and then another week trying to bolt on as much as I could before installing the engine and K member and lowering the car. Bolting the engine/trans/K member together is the cats meow, lifted the car up rolled it under and lowered it down and wala it was home. Rear end was pretty easy I simply put it on a floor jack with a support under the nose and jacked it up above the springs (bolted the front of the springs on before jacking up the rear end) and hinged the rear of the leaf up and then lowered the rear end down easy as pie. The trunk panel is not bolted on just wanted to get it someplace where it was not likely to get damaged while I am waiting for paint to arrive. That is some expensive paint $25 a can! It better be worth the wait. Check out my rollers I picked up on CL for cheap-kinda liking those old school 50's on the rear, lol. Here are a few pics of the past couple of weeks.

IMG_1594.jpg IMG_1595.jpg IMG_1596.jpg 64566840306__8BE714D6-78A2-4A52-A5F6-78CC9DD775BB.jpg

Like many of us I get caught up on what I am doing and always think about pics after I am past the point where I should have taken more pics. Anyway I have been making progress, cut and buffing took the better part of a week and then another week trying to bolt on as much as I could before installing the engine and K member and lowering the car. Bolting the engine/trans/K member together is the cats meow, lifted the car up rolled it under and lowered it down and wala it was home. Rear end was pretty easy I simply put it on a floor jack with a support under the nose and jacked it up above the springs (bolted the front of the springs on before jacking up the rear end) and hinged the rear of the leaf up and then lowered the rear end down easy as pie. The trunk panel is not bolted on just wanted to get it someplace where it was not likely to get damaged while I am waiting for paint to arrive. That is some expensive paint $25 a can! It better be worth the wait. Check out my rollers I picked up on CL for cheap-kinda liking those old school 50's on the rear, lol. Here are a few pics of the past couple of weeks.

View attachment 1128124 View attachment 1128125 View attachment 1128127 View attachment 1128128
Say what ever work's looking good.

Just to say I started video on the tear down on my car and after a while that went to the side. If you don't have a camera crew then you don't have time to video every step and do the work too. Good job grate work. Blue.:thumbsup:

Been crazy the last 3-4 months and have not had the time to work on the RR but finally jumped in this week and got it running and moving under it's own power-kinda hard to drive sitting on a bucket so we will settle for in/out of the garage for now.

IMG_2560.jpg
IMG_2561.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent work. Can't wait to see it finished.

I remember when I purchased a running 73 Satellite as a parts car. The deal I made, to get it delivered cheap from California, was that the guy helping me deliver it could take the front bench seat. That was fine by me - I didn't need it.
When it arrived in Pennsylvania, I drove it about 5 miles from the delivery terminal to a body shop. I was sitting on a milk crate. At a stop sign, I made a right turn and promptly fell off the crate! I couldn't see over the dash, and I couldn't reach brake pedals easily either - NOT a good move! Luckily, I got it sorted quickly and nothing bad happened.

Anyway, your post reminded me of that time. So, yes, I agree to stick to in/out of the garage!

Keep up the good work!

I have been fortunate that there are some pretty good sellers here on FBBO and I have found much of what I need along with banging around on ebay.
I went through the same deal when i got my 64' Polara. Honestly, I think that FBBO has some of the best sellers out there.

I envy those of you that are good at documenting your builds. I started into this thing with every intention of taking lots of pics but never do. Anyway today The RR went on a shakedown cruise. Found I have a couple of issues but nothing too crazy. I am still waiting on the rocker moulding clips and windshield wiper blades but otherwise we are done. The interior was a challenge since everything is a "year out" or at least that seams to be the pat answer, so in an effort to get the car done I purchased the incorrect seat covers (at a discount!) and will change them out down the road otherwise we are in good shape. Thanks to FBBO your help has been invaluable.

68376493605__E5104375-DF0F-4471-BAD7-946B41E63CAB.jpg

68376494540__E259286F-8A5C-41C0-8DB6-E96DEC5196F9.jpg

IMG_3263.jpg

IMG_3266.jpg

IMG_3264.jpg

IMG_3265.jpg

Welcome to FBBO from Ontario. It looks like you have a good start on a nice 'Runner.

Auto Transport Service
Back