• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Roadrunner automatic on floor

Kevin74

Local time
10:23 PM
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I bought this Roadrunner that a previous owner has done a floor shift conversion.

It appears to be done with a 1960’s era factory shifter.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a shifter boot or perhaps even a factory console that would dress this up?

Thanks,
Kevin

IMG_6791.png

IMG_6790.png

A stock console won't fit over that, the lever is too far to the left.

Get a boot.

if it were mine, I would convert it to column shift like it should be and get rid of that so a carpet will fit correctly. Just saying. ruffcut

if it were mine, I would convert it to column shift like it should be and get rid of that so a carpet will fit correctly. Just saying. ruffcut
I agree with that, but I don’t have welding skills. It’s on my list of stuff to learn someday

By the way, should I order 4-speed or automatic carpet kit? Does it look like a floor pan hump from a 4-speed car?

That's not a b body hump so you're probably going to have trouble making the carpet fit nicely. A 4 speed carpet would fit better than auto but still might not fit due to the size and possibly location of that hump. The carpets are somewhat molded to fit the countours of the floor and hump.

I would start looking for a piece of automatic tunnel to replace all that. Not ideal but you could probably use rivets and panel bond to attach the replacmement piece if you had to. Should be fairly easy to find an auto column since they're a lot more common (and cheaper) than manual steering columns. Or get some console mounts and console if you want to go that way.

Someone had quite the dream there!
I would chop it out and put the shifter where it belongs and Yada Yada, as suggested.

That's not a b body hump so you're probably going to have trouble making the carpet fit nicely. A 4 speed carpet would fit better than auto but still might not fit due to the size and possibly location of that hump. The carpets are somewhat molded to fit the countours of the floor and hump.

I would start looking for a piece of automatic tunnel to replace all that. Not ideal but you could probably use rivets and panel bond to attach the replacmement piece if you had to. Should be fairly easy to find an auto column since they're a lot more common (and cheaper) than manual steering columns. Or get some console mounts and console if you want to go that way.
Thanks for the great advice. I really appreciate the expert knowledge on this site, because I’m still learning.

I would cut that ugly thing out, buy a factory console and the factory console shift linkage, patch the hole with sheet metal and self driller screws (if welding it is not an option)
Easier said than done finding the right parts I know, you will need bucket seats too. I am doing this on my car that was original column shift.
There is a guy over here in WA state that has a few of those consoles for sale. He advertises on Craigslist- Arlington Washington

Auto Transport Service
Back