• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Roadrunner Magnums?

Google is your friend:
https://paintref.com/cgi-bin/brochu...Chrysler&model=Plymouth&smod=&page=17&scan=17

Right in the sales brochure:
1968plymouth_17.jpg

I was watching an episode of GYC, and they had said there were early RoadRunners that left the
factory with trim ring wheels even though they wern't an option.

Anything is possible.

But very unlikely.

Same could be asked did 69s come with all chrome road wheels?

And untill documents surface stating said fact.

No

I own a 68 GTX that was built in June and it had trim rings on it!
No, didn't buy it new, but met the previous owner and he did nothing
to the car but drive it for two years. Gave the wheels away eons ago!

Last edited:
On the early 1969 road wheels built in 1968 the dates are on the back side rim edge, where the weights go. Get a magnifying glass and a wire brush to see them on unrestored wheels.

I doubt there was any crossover on the wheels.
If you weren’t there when it left the factory then who knows when the wheels were swapped.

Anyone who ever worked at a new car dealership knows how much swapping went on from time to time.

*I swapped van doors from windows to not windows *Seats from bench to bucket in trucks and vans
*Wheels lots of times
*Bumpers, painted/chrome/guards or bare, fog lamps or bare, ETC
All to please the customer and make a sale

Just because those wheels are on it today doesn’t mean they came from the factory. Pretty easy to swap wheels on a car, at the dealer or last owner.

See photo of what you are looking for on the date stamps. This is on the back side rim edge where the weights go 9-19-1968. This is a true 1969 road wheel.

They stopped making 1968 cars in mid July 1968, and started making 1969 production cars sometime in early August 1968. This is all depending on the plant.

View attachment 1274961 7C246D56-0553-4366-8623-0353A9AC276F.jpeg C4F8061C-1B9E-48C2-A3DD-C26D21415E1A.jpeg

Last edited:
I have some that came in my convertible guy said they were original but they don’t seem right ... I think mine where aftermarket add ons. They are however chrome.

1C1F08FF-0C15-4DED-AE9B-76F0F8D724CA.jpeg D18F368C-051F-4B08-A0F9-197CCB6462C1.jpeg 3DEC1255-A5BF-4028-8768-D647D8BDFAB0.jpeg

Magnum 500's with trim rings kind of defeats the purpose of chrome.
Neighbor of mine FORD guy swears to this day that his 68 super bee had a factory pistol grip 4 speed.

I saw a set of the reproduction "Recall wheels" at a show that had trim rings on it similar to what the originals had. They were cool looking.

True.
What did you have to offer in the way of answering the OP's question then?

What I had to offer is the fact that the brochure pictured was still using the chrome style Magnums from 67. He asked if a 68 car could’ve had the trim ring style, and if the brochure is accurate, then it must be either a mid year change, or the answer is no, not until 69, which would be my assumption anyway. There, is that enough help for him, or do I have to get out my parts books and do the rest of the research too?

Auto Transport Service
Back