• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Sport Satellite worth restoring or making a GTX/Roadrunner clone?

jayfire

Local time
8:34 PM
Reaction score
I had two 68 GTXs and a 67 last year, but do to rust issues beyond my abilities, I sold them all. Now, I just picked up an original 68 Sport Satellite with the 318, auto, 61K miles. Only thing missing is the hub caps! Hasn't been on the road since 1979. Has some rust issues around rear window, floors and torsion bar crossmember. Now, would this be something anyone would want if I left it stock? If not, I want to make a GTX clone, or as close as $$ allows to get it in nice driver quality. Just looking for some opinions. Thanks

It is definitely worth leaving stock. With do many Sport Satellites lost to becoming RR & GTX clones they have become harder to find

GTX trim is expensive! You could make RR tribute much cheaper. Also depends on how close to a GTX you want to make it. Speedo lens, 440, door panel emblems, woodgrain steering wheel, ect. However if the tail panel & grille are in good shape then maybe go the GTX route. It's yours so you only need to please yourself.

I agree with both posts above....Sat's are rare and cool in their own respect...On the other hand you have to be happy with the car...but added cost to correctly do it as a GTX will change your mind....Try to find the correct dash wood grain hockey stick, when you do find a nice one the cost will choke you....

Be proud that it is a Satellite. Build a big loud motor,throw some fatties on the back and thumb your nose at the fancy show ponies with the skinny little wheels. Drive the piss out of it. Enough with all the clones already...be proud of what it is!!

Fix all the issues that need to be fixed regardless of which route you choose. Then, keep it a Sport Satellite!

You guys are right! I see more GTX's and RR's at shows or cruises, but never see the Sport Satellites. I'll keep it the way it is! Can the 318 be rebuilt with any power? That's my main concern. Had a 74 Charger with a 318, and couldn't do a burnout on smooth concrete.

Do all the things you would with a big block. Bore and stroke and let it breathe!!

Stick with the Sport Sat or upgrade to GTX tribute but I wouldn't downgrade it to a RR.
Me, I would make it one bad-*** looking SS and tell people, yeah...it's a Satty.
Now if it was a 69 I would aim for a 69 1/2 A12 RR tribute in a heart beat.

Nothing wrong with a nicely restored Satellite with an original 318 . There's a lot of guys out there that would love to have one. You just have to be realistic as to its value once done, especially since it's a small block car compared to an original big block car. The key is to be able to do most of the work if not all yourself. If you have to pay someone to do it for you, you will be totally upside down in it money wise. If you can do the body, paint, and mechanics yourself, it can be very rewarding to know it's your work and skill that did it.

That being said, if it was mine I would take it totally apart and restore it back to like new condition, doing all the work myself. But that's not for everyone. It's a lot of work, time, and money but the finished product is very rewarding personally.

I was at the mopar nats in Columbus walked thru and looked at the cars saw a few 68 sport sattys didn't see any 69 sport sattys keep it real!!! I am with my 69 sport satty

Nothing wrong with a nicely restored Satellite with an original 318 . There's a lot of guys out there that would love to have one. You just have to be realistic as to its value once done, especially since it's a small block car compared to an original big block car. The key is to be able to do most of the work if not all yourself. If you have to pay someone to do it for you, you will be totally upside down in it money wise. If you can do the body, paint, and mechanics yourself, it can be very rewarding to know it's your work and skill that did it.

That being said, if it was mine I would take it totally apart and restore it back to like new condition, doing all the work myself. But that's not for everyone. It's a lot of work, time, and money but the finished product is very rewarding personally.
Yes, I like doing most of the work myself. I may farm out the rebuild of the drivetrain, but I think I can do all the rest. Keeping it a SS it is!!

If you want a GTX, build a real GTX. Cloning a Satellite (or Sport Satellite) into a GTX will cost you every bit as much money, but at the end of the day, you'll have a car that's worth a 1/3 less.

build a Hot Rod. Install updated suspension and brakes a hot stroker small block and make it light. Make a roadrace/ autocross car that you can hit the back roads or drive to a show. It's a 318 car it will never be worth a lot of money so have fun. Get it low and light and have fun.

I plan on restoring mine one day. But I may put a six pack hood on it. Other than that my plans are to leave it stock

build a Hot Rod. Install updated suspension and brakes a hot stroker small block and make it light. Make a roadrace/ autocross car that you can hit the back roads or drive to a show. It's a 318 car it will never be worth a lot of money so have fun. Get it low and light and have fun.
You are entitled to your opinion but the only thing I can agree with here is the have fun.

A sport satellite is a GTX without a 440. do what pleases YOU. I would retain it as is, sport satellite Is a great car.

"It is what it is" applies here, in my opinion.....
it's a MOPAR, so it's cool no matter what you decide, it's yours!
I vote for the "keep it real" Satellite!

Auto Transport Service
Back