• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'68 voltage regulator

shepherm

Local time
3:35 AM
Reaction score
Sorry for the long post...

I had another voltage regulator fail. Last time my alternator fried too, so I really didn’t know what failed first. This time it’s for sure the regulator and my alternator didn’t fry. Both times they send the voltage straight through causing the alternator to full charge all the time.

Details
Its a 68 charger 318. The alternator or regulator (factory style) wasn't working when I got the car in March '22.

April '22
I replaced the regulator with a solid state and the alternator with a Acdelco rebuilt unit.

July '22
Added 10 ga wire and fusible link from the the back of the alternator to starter relay
Added headlight relay (all soldered connections)
Added HEI ignition module
Added relay for the HEI/choke, voltage regulator (all soldered connections)

September '22
Alternator and regulator failed, regulator putting out 12 volts to alternator
Replace with another solid state (little different than the first) and Remy rebuilt alternator (tested prior to install)
Tested after install:
Good charging 14.5V at battery
Very little voltage drop between battery and back of alternator
Very little voltage drop between regulator sensing wire and battery
No voltage on the regulator case or alternator case

Yesterday 1/28/23
Alternator was working fine
After sitting in traffic, I noticed alternator was putting out high charge when I pushed on the throttle
Pulled over pulled the sensing wire, drove home without alternator
Same as last failed regulator, putting out 12 volts to the alternator field wire causing over-charging

So it appears there has been a problem since I bought the car. The only thing running through the bulkhead is the radio, gauges, taillights, etc. Now I need to decide if I should try a third one and check everything one more time, or switch to a 70 style regulator and alternator..

IMG_6560.jpg

Please see my attached opinion regarding your issue.....
This style of regulator is used on the PRE 1970 (1969 and earlier) single brush alternators rotating field connections. Full battery voltage is applied to the IGN (ignition) terminal at ignition turn on. Without the engine running, full battery voltage will appear at the FLD (field) terminal...
It may explain your problem....if not, PM me and I'll try and walk you through the operation snd how the system works.....
BOB RENTON

Looks like the three terminal device was never soldered?

This style of regulator is used on the PRE 1970 (1969 and earlier) single brush alternators rotating field connections. Full battery voltage is applied to the IGN (ignition) terminal at ignition turn on. Without the engine running, full battery voltage will appear at the FLD (field) terminal...
It may explain your problem....if not, PM me and I'll try and walk you through the operation snd how the system works.....
BOB RENTON

Since I am a new guy, it is probably operator error, but I can't find the post you are referencing. I scrolled back to November but see no posts from you.

Since I am a new guy, it is probably operator error, but I can't find the post you are referencing. I scrolled back to November but see no posts from you.
Suggest using the search function....its in the November 2021 listing....the operation of the mechanical voltage regulator is simple....sort of an on/off function in response to the battery's state of charge. The offer still holds....PM me if you can't find the post or if I can help.....
BOB RENTON

Suggest using the search function....its in the November 2021 listing....the operation of the mechanical voltage regulator is simple....sort of an on/off function in response to the battery's state of charge. The offer still holds....PM me if you can't find the post or if I can help.....
BOB RENTON
Found it. Charging Mystery - 69 GTX
Thanks.

BOB RENTON

Hello I have a few questions about the charging system on my 68rr can you call me when ever you have a few minutes to chat.

Hello I have a few questions about the charging system on my 68rr can you call me when ever you have a few minutes to chat.
Phone number removed. For your internet security don't post personal information directly on the site. Send it through a Private Conversation. Just click on the members name to get there.

Auto Transport Service
Back