• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 383 roadrunner fuel problem's

steve maluk

Local time
8:13 PM
Reaction score
hello
i believe i am having vapor lock problems with my 383 when hot at times motor shuts off on several occasions at idel and once just floating around 30 mph. motor shut down oil lite came on and car fired back up . motor shuts down at idle at times. i have read that a fuel filter has a extra line that should go back to the tank. did the 69 383 come with a return line to the gas tank? have been under car at tank one line is the fuel delivery one line goes into the trunk with un upside down p trap and goes back into the trunk and for the life of me i cant figure out wher it goes there is another short line at tank that goes up and makes a loop with line open. Car hard to start when hot i have to hold to floor and crank it starts but hard on battery
any suggestion would be greatly helpful

That model did not have a return. The other is the vent line. I doubt your car has a vapor lock problem.

Three lines come out of tank, two vent lines (lots of info on those in other threads), and your feed line. Could possibly be fuel pump not working correctly, pump rod wear, float level not right or sticking in carb, I’m others will have more ideas

Three lines come out of tank, two vent lines (lots of info on those in other threads), and your feed line. Could possibly be fuel pump not working correctly, pump rod wear, float level not right or sticking in carb, I’m others will have more ideas
thanks
to possibly eliminating a vapor lock issue could i run a line from fuel filter back to one of the vent lines or is there another option. i have not had the car long its a leaker but runs ok
don't like car shutting off in traffic a funky stranded feeling.

if you have a high volume mechanical fuel pump and a stock fuel pump pushrod.....its very likely that the pushrod has worn short due to being too soft for the stiffer spring in the hv fuel pump. a harder/better pump pushrod can be had from several sources. could be your problem. good luck.

..i have not had the car long...

Any record of when the carb was rebuilt last? It may be time to look at that if so. If the previous owner let it sit for any length of time, especially with ethanol gas in it, it may have had some adverse effects on that carb.

Auto Transport Service
Back