• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 B body 3" exhaust?

I have the 3" TTI on my 69 Super Bee. The only place it is tight is by the gas tank. I know I didn't pay $1200 for it either. Would I do it again? No, I would stick with 2.5".

Does anyone make factory looking Plymouth ‘68-‘70 B body tips for the 3” tailpipes? The oval ones.

TTI has you install the system starting with tailpipes then mufflers. Buy tailpipe hangers, they're (knife?) slip in. You can just see at top of picture.

1965 Dodge 005.JPG

I was looking for the Plymouth oval tips. I only see the Dodge.
I have their 2.5" tips on my RR, but you are correct, they don't list a 3" for Plymouth. You will have to give them a call, maybe they just aren't listed on the site.

Yeah, but they have TTI in scripted on the side. Or did they remove that?
My Charger 3 inch does not unless it was very small maybe by the clamp area. I would have to look.

My Charger 3 inch does not unless it was very small maybe by the clamp area. I would have to look.
They must have removed it. That is the reason I never bought any TTI tips. I remember asking them about it several years ago, and they said there was a lot of guys who didn't like it on there.

By the time the exhaust gasses reach your rear axle, it doesn't really make a difference if it's 2.5" tubing over the axle and out the tailpipe. There is a benefit to the first 2-3' of 3" exhaust, while the exhaust gasses are still very hot and expanded, but after that point, I don't see a restriction with 2.5-2.75" tubing.

We often forget that exhaust velocity is also important to take into consideration, and should be placed on a similar 'exhaust hierarchy' as flow rates. Reduction in exhaust size towards the rear end of the car, will maintain the velocity of the exhaust gasses as they cool down. I'm sure someone has done some testing on this by now, or have a more technical explanation to provide.

For example - the Hellcat has a 2.75" exhaust system, so do the 6.4/392s. The mufflers apparently even neck down to 2.5" on these cars, which never crossed my mind when I owned a 2015 SRT.

Last edited:
By the time the exhaust gasses reach your rear axle, it doesn't really make a difference if it's 2.5" tubing over the axle and out the tailpipe. There is a benefit to the first 2-3' of 3" exhaust, while the exhaust gasses are still very hot and expanded, but after that point, I don't see a restriction with 2.5-2.75" tubing. I'm sure someone has done some testing on this by now.

For example - the Hellcat has a 2.75" exhaust system, so do the 6.4/392s. The mufflers apparently even neck down to 2.5" on these cars, which never crossed my mind when I owned a 2015 SRT.
That is what I have always read as well. When I did my Super Bee, I contacted TTI and asked if they would sell me 3" pipes from the headers to the mufflers and the go to 2.5" tailpipes. They did finally reluctantly agree to it, but advised against it. Wanted quite an up charge, so I said screw it and went 3 all the way.

By the time the exhaust gasses reach your rear axle, it doesn't really make a difference if it's 2.5" tubing over the axle and out the tailpipe. There is a benefit to the first 2-3' of 3" exhaust, while the exhaust gasses are still very hot and expanded, but after that point, I don't see a restriction with 2.5-2.75" tubing. I'm sure someone has done some testing on this by now. We often forget that velocity is also important, and should be placed on a similar exhaust hierarchy as flow rates.

They are also running catalytic converters.

By the time the exhaust gasses reach your rear axle, it doesn't really make a difference if it's 2.5" tubing over the axle and out the tailpipe. There is a benefit to the first 2-3' of 3" exhaust, while the exhaust gasses are still very hot and expanded, but after that point, I don't see a restriction with 2.5-2.75" tubing.

We often forget that exhaust velocity is also important to take into consideration, and should be placed on a similar 'exhaust hierarchy' as flow rates. Reduction in exhaust size towards the rear end of the car, will maintain the velocity of the exhaust gasses as they cool down. I'm sure someone has done some testing on this by now, or have a more technical explanation to provide.

Really just depends on the power level. Dual 2.75 would be great for many but an uncommon size for tubing/mufflers.

So at that point comes the decision, will 2.5 be restrictive for your combination.

There are some great engine masters tests on all this stuff

Absolutely, once the 600 HP threshold is reached, it's time for 3" exhaust systems and low-restriction (high-flow) mufflers. After the header collector extension length (essentially), my question is does it really make a difference downsizing from 3" to 2.75-2.5" after the muffler, , over the axle, and to the tailpipes. I don't believe there would be a significant power loss, but would like to see some data on it.

I thought they tested different tailpipe sizes? Or was it just the full system?

Absolutely, once the 600 HP threshold is reached, it's time for 3" exhaust systems and low-restriction (high-flow) mufflers. After the header collector extension length (essentially), my question is does it really make a difference downsizing from 3" to 2.75-2.5" after the muffler, , over the axle, and to the tailpipes. I don't believe there would be a significant power loss, but would like to see some data on it.

On some combinations there wouldn't be a loss. On others there would. Question is, if your combination is borderline benefiting from 3" to/including the mufflers, what would you gain from going to 2.5" after the mufflers?

Again, 2.75 is probably fine more many/most but where are you going to find that? You would need to reduce 3" to 2.75 then adapt the 2.75 to whatever tips are available. (in the end, you'll spend more on that than 3")

First you would need to reduce it nicely, with a cone reducer, rather than abruptly go from 3" to 2.5".

Wouldn't seem there would be much money to save. If you're already buying tailpipes and tips.

On some combinations there wouldn't be a loss. On others there would. Question is, if your combination is borderline benefiting from 3" to/including the mufflers, what would you gain from going to 2.5" after the mufflers?

Again, 2.75 is probably fine more many/most but where are you going to find that? You would need to reduce 3" to 2.75 then adapt the 2.75 to whatever tips are available. (in the end, you'll spend more on that than 3")

First you would need to reduce it nicely, with a cone reducer, rather than abruptly go from 3" to 2.5".

Wouldn't seem there would be much money to save. If you're already buying tailpipes and tips.

I think we're looking too deep into this, there was some concern about non-mandrel bends reducing the 3" exhaust tubing going over the axle, down to 2.5". To me this doesn't really make a difference, but there are some people who would lose sleep over it. Is there really a power difference, or is it negligible?

Last edited:
^ Just depends on the power you're making/flow requirements.

My point about non mandrel 3" is why have the weight of 3" and the flow of mandrel bent 2.5", better off just having mandrel bent 2.5".

Crush bent certainly flows much less than mandrel bent.

Some of the stuff I've seen crush bent could only be described as nearly destroyed.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back