• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 charger 4 spd center console

Monkeymaster

Local time
6:32 AM
Reaction score
Hello
Anyone have any reports on the aftermarket 4spd center consoles for 69 Charger 4 spds and the quality or lack of ?
My biggest concern is the very back end that everyone puts their hands and weight on, getting in and out of the back seat, and it gets crushed/cracked like the originals.
I thought about somehow "building" up some sort of support structure inside/underneath of it, but not 100% sure how to proceed with that?
Any information is appreciated.
Thanks

Maybe just crazy talk but what if one were to contain the concerned area and fill it with expanding polyurethane foam? I know it doesn’t get completely solid but it would add some rigidity and limit any flex or bends in the plastic.
Just a thought

I would form a piece of sheet metal under it and maybe some JB weld To hold it all together. Just a thought.

Maybe just crazy talk but what if one were to contain the concerned area and fill it with expanding polyurethane foam? I know it doesn’t get completely solid but it would add some rigidity and limit any flex or bends in the plastic.
Just a thought
Was thinking the same thing! The poly foam does get pretty firm once dry so don't see why it wouldn't help and it would be an easy solution imo. I had the same feelings with the consoles in E body cars....

As of now
I took the original console and overplayed a piece of kydex formed with a heat gun.
Better than a hole but not perfect.
If/when I get a new console it will be reinforced,
Possibly a couple of 2x4s glued together than sanded down to correct length/contour and glued to base.
Or
Some sort of EPO, or, spray foam.
If foam, I will try some different cans/types in a yogurt cup, to test the flexibility or no flexibility ect.
If the foam flexes or gives I think the console would still crack break ect

How I do it.
I find a plastics fabricator that uses ABS sheeting.
Got mine from the place where I used to work, we manufactured orthotics, prosthetics, custom wheelchair seating and orthopaedic footwear which was my department.
Got scrap black ABS, 1/8, 3/16 and 1/4” thick material.
Bought acetone/ fingernail polish remover will work.
Put some very small, almost like filing’s of ABS in a sealed glass jar with some acetone. Left it to sit for some days until it made a nice glue. You might have to add more of either.
Took a piece of ABS formed it to fit the underside contour of the console top.
Put glue on both sides and clamped it.
I have done a few this way, works!
One reason for breakage was people in the back seat kneeling on it to talk to the people in the front. There isn’t any reason for that to be broken. The 67 we bought in 1970 is still crack free.
You can see the reinforcement 1/4 “thick piece, and I added reinforcement to the tabs at the bottom uprights.
Now the cat is out of the bag!
I suggest trying to glue a few pieces or samples until you get the right consistency.

IMG_2197.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back