• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Charger driveshaft balancing?

robl72

Local time
2:18 AM
Reaction score
I will try to make a long story short…,I removed my driveshaft to restore it to a factory appearance as it was previously painted. Did a great job stripping and sanding to an original appearance. While I was finishing I turned my back (loud kids) and it rolled off my workbench. Good news is the bench is not high, only 30”, and the floor has a thick carpet. I believe the inertia ring hit first and there are no signs of any damage at all.

My questions are does it need to be balanced for any or all of the following reasons?
1. It’s original and 54 years old….
2. I sanded some material off when restoring finish.
3. It fell off the work bench as previously stated (dumb).

It should be noted that it has its original balance weight on it and has had no previous problems.

Pics are attached and show the resto results..

Any opinions on this or info on balancing options are welcome.

Thank you!

IMG_7301.jpeg

IMG_7302.jpeg

IMG_7303.jpeg

IMG_7304.jpeg

I wouldn't worry about any of those problems. Old doesn't mean it needs a re-balance.
Falling off of the bench didn't bend it, and you probably masaged it pretty evenly.
It looks beautiful. Run it!

If it doesn't vibrate, you're good to go.

Nice job

What process did you use to re-create the original weld burns?

I use black oxide when I did mine.

Macdon221

Mine had a dent in it where fork hit it in the junk car I got it out of. I shorted it 2 1/2" at home, moved the weight reward (it was in the 2 1/2") and it was good to over 100 mph. Lasted around 13k miles behind a 440 4speed. Only reason it was failing was the 7260 u joint caps were getting loose in the yokes.
I think yours will be fine.

Thanks for the info guys! I used a Birchwood Casey Presto Mag Gun Blue to create the weld. I was also thinking of taking a torch to the end welds to create the burnt look but I am a little afraid..

Auto Transport Service
Back