• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which way is right....or does it matter?

That's what I'm talking about!! Dadsbee has the clear shot. The tapered end attaches to the diff. The full size end attaches to the slip yolk at the trans ......I don't know how he does it but dadsbee has pics of damn near every angle of ever inch of the car. He's posted some pics for me before. Many thanks and BTW, is your car all done?(dadsbee)

Many thanks and BTW, is your car all done?(dadsbee)
Oh ya... been driving it for 4 years now since finishing her up. Son driving it here..
beeandhp2cruisedaryljuly32022 042.jpg

Parted a lot of cars in the 70's but they were mostly E cars and don't recall any of them having the 'donut' but iirc, the couple of boats I did had it.

That's fabulous! All done and enjoying it! So I'm guessing the next in line for the Bee will be the driver here!!? My son is like" hurry up and finish yours so get to at least drive it once before I get it!'

Last edited:
Eldubb440, I see you also have the balance ring (if that's what it is) located up by the trans. Since mine doesn't have that, I'm working the premise that the largest end of the DS does connect at the trans. My DS narrows at one end more than the other, so it goes back by the diff. I wonder when the big donut disappeared off of the factory DS?

here's one in a 67 R/T and another in a Road Runner..... plus mine and yours...... I wonder if it's a performance car thing?

Trends in project car pricing. What does 12k buy in todays market?

67 Coronet R/T convertible
A sure sign I'm getting old - I asked this same question back in 2017 on this forum (and then answered it too.....oy):
What driveshaft should my car have?

"In case anyone stumbles across this thread in future years, I'll answer my own question since nobody else has so far:
The driveshafts with the inertia ring front end on them (and bigger u-joints) were stock on 440 and hemi b-bodies in 1968, regardless of transmission choice."

That sound I hear is senility creeping in... :lol:

1968 was the last year with the inertia ring on the front of the driveshaft.

I want to thank all my answer providers here today. I did get my orientation right with regards to the install position AND did drop it off at a local driveshaft shop for balance check. No problem with my yolk and u joints installed. (They may be removing and reinstalling during the procedure...I don't know)

Number correct driveshaft, six bbl 4 speed dana .... tapered end ar rear, front has a harmonic balancer in the interior.
Or they say, i never cut one open.

Number correct driveshaft, six bbl 4 speed dana .... tapered end ar rear, front has a harmonic balancer in the interior.
Or they say, i never cut one open.
Correct, B and E bodies have that for sure. I found that out when having a few shortened and ruined.

What is it that the inertia ring is supposed to so. I've even found weights hanging off the back of the trans and taking them off didn't seem to do anything. At work we also had some of those types of weights on a long lever bolted (no more than a foot long) to some pumps close to where the coupling was bolted up for vibration purposes. For some reason, some pump/electric motors just didn't seem to play well with each other. I've also used straight driveshafts without the inertia ring installed in cars that used to have it and again, no difference.

The ring will change the resonance frequency of the DS, and was likely to alter/avoid a resonance in the driveline in a particular vehicle under particular operating conditions. Those conditions would likely be potential for resonance, and not every identical car would experience it.
Heavier items tend to 'absorb' vibration, too. FWIW, many C-bodies have that inertia ring.

Back in the early 2000s, there was a vehicle combination with Navistar trucks: DT466, Allison 1000/2000-series AT, and long WB with single drive axle.
A common configuration for rental-fleet box trucks.
Due to some natural resonance of the DT466 engine bellhousing, Allison did not permit the DT466 to have 6th gear, which might've excited that resonance.
So they were programmed as a 5-speed only.

There were some of these vehicles that had transmission failures, sometimes repeat failures after rebuild and or replacement.
2 problems were eventually found: some trucks had an out-of-spec driveline, and/or some had engine misfires due to faulty injectors (or both!).
Both conditions were too mild for the driver to notice and report for repair (esp in a rental truck).

End result - the misfire and/or driveshaft vibrations caused enough torsional activity to damage a planetary carrier in the transmission, to shear off a splined snout that engaged the upstream sun gear. That carrier's snout was loaded in 5th gear.

Not all box trucks of that configuration experienced the problem, but enough to capture Allison's attention that something was amiss (pun intended).

So - swapping an old car to a different driveshaft without the inertia ring might not show a problem.

@Fury Fan Both conditions were too mild for the driver to notice and report for repair (esp in a rental truck).

I most likely would have said something about it if I felt it but it most likely would fall on deaf ears at the rental place. Most of those guys don't give a rip so long as they they are making a pay check whether or not the trucks are in the shop or not. The owner of the rental place would however but where is that person in most cases?

68 was not the last year for the inertia ring. My 69 GTX 440, 4 speed, Dana, Track Pac, #s matching, car has the ring on the factory DS.

Auto Transport Service
Back