• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which way is right....or does it matter?

19bee70

Local time
5:48 AM
Reaction score
I know this is probably one of those " are you serious?" type of questions but I've forgotten which way it goes! I took my driveshaft out years ago and am now restoring it with new u joints. I forgot which end of the driveshaft gets the slip yolk for the rear of the trans! Does the fat end or the tapered end connect to the slip yolk?? I DID research pics all over the net and I actually found both ways installed. Does it even matter? Sometimes, I wish my 65 yr old memory was better!!!

Tapered end towards the transmission.
You should get it balanced as well.

Last edited:
Ahhh....alrighty then! Thanks Don. The balancing .....would they want the yolk attached or should I leave it off?

lol....I solved that problem last year. I shower and sleep in my socks. All my other pairs stay in the drawer!

lol....I solved that problem last year. I shower and sleep in my socks. All my other pairs stay in the drawer!
Quite convenient, as long as you sleep with your feet hanging over the end of the bed. :lol:

I glad the question was asked. I pulled the driveshaft out of the car about 45 years ago and took the u-joints and yoke off a couple weeks ago and while doing so thought "this doesn't look right" - the yoke was on the fat end.

What are we calling the tapered end? Where the tube diameter gets smaller at one end right?

It goes to the REAR According to the factory that built them.

459391A4-1B31-49B1-A5B3-18C20A5116AA.jpeg

C12EC95D-BDF4-4889-A9C9-E5A6975ACAD1.jpeg

Last edited:
GKent ..I'm glad there was another peep out here that couldn't quite remember either BUT the answers appear contradictory. Could it be chassis specific then? Different A,B,C and E bodies??

Mopared....yeh, I see what you mean. Now my 70 DS doesn't have that ring on it but I can see the tapered end aligned with the diff. Sounds like R413 concurs.

Mopared....yeh, I see what you mean. Now my 70 DS doesn't have that ring on it but I can see the tapered end aligned with the diff. Sounds like R413 concurs.
Brings up a question for me though - is the donut driveshaft supposed to be on my '68 GTX to begin with?

Auto Transport Service
Back