• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Charger General Lee or Not?

AlexUSMC0311

Local time
3:56 AM
Reaction score
I am currently having a 69 charger restored and It is ready to be painted. I have always wanted a General Lee and would very much like to have one built, but I live in a City that leans to the left and go to a Progressive School and given that I am still young(21), me and my charger will be around for a long time. I plan on driving it every chance I get but I am concerned with having the flag on the roof especially in today's every increasing Political Correctness movement. should I have the General built, or should I go for the stock scheme of Hemi Orange with a Black vinyl top? I don't want to be afraid to park my General and get lunch and come back to see key marks on the roof every time I take it out If the Future PC movement is going the way everyone says they are.

IMG_4813.PNG

No, for the love of God, please don't do another General Lee. Good Lord, that has been done to death...
Not because of political correctness (eff that noise) but because there's got to be literally thousands of those damn things out there now.
Booorrrrrrring.
Just my two cents.

It will be way cooler with the hemi orange and the black vinyl top. If you stick with that option, it will be awesome and you won’t have to worry about crazy people getting their panties in a twist over the flag.

I am currently having a 69 charger restored and It is ready to be painted. I have always wanted a General Lee and would very much like to have one built, but I live in a City that leans to the left and go to a Progressive School and given that I am still young(21), me and my charger will be around for a long time. I plan on driving it every chance I get but I am concerned with having the flag on the roof especially in today's every increasing Political Correctness movement. should I have the General built, or should I go for the stock scheme of Hemi Orange with a Black vinyl top? I don't want to be afraid to park my General and get lunch and come back to see key marks on the roof every time I take it out If the Future PC movement is going the way everyone says they are.

View attachment 622829
I own a 69 Charger and really wanted to someday make it a General Lee but my thought was that going that route might put a cap on the future value of the car if it were to ever be sold. I even put the wheels on it, but mainly because I like them, not to prep for a general clone. A good friend deflated my hidden urge to make the change when he said “you’re not going to make a general lee are you?” after I put the new wheels on.
I grew up watching The Dukes of Hazzard, own all 6 seasons on DVD, and am not afraid to say I loved the show. As a kid that car was what dreams were made of and it “could do anything”. I had the matchbox cars, the remote control car, and numerous models of it back then. In a perfect world I would find a plane Jane non-numbers matching car and make it a General Lee with a 440 or 426 engine, add the correct horns and all the decals, and love seeing it in my collection and taking it out for drives. Would I worry what others think? Nope. Would I worry about vandals? Nope. I used to worry about my paint work getting keyed but that affected my ability to enjoy the cars. That being said I wouldn’t park a General Lee in certain places unattended, or at all in some others.
I probably won’t have a General Lee, but I do smile and give a thumbs up when I see one going down the road. Good luck in your decision.

do as you please
if it was me and i wanted something to clone
i would do a Dirty Mary Crazy Larry clone
the original movie star 69 charger
the General Lee is a well beaten horse..yawn

How about getting custom General Lee magnets instead of decals, you can put em' on when your runnin' shine.

I believe you should do what makes you happy. Another possibility could be to do the less popular General Grant, or Sherman. Just kidding. Original or Resto-Mods may retain higher value than theme cars. Do what you like, make it yours and have fun.

It's concerning that this is what the "Stars & Bars" have come to represent.......100 plus years later. We live in a world of political correctness. The "Dukes of Hazzard" show had no racial undertones, why should this matter now.

Myself, I like the General Lee look.
If the world is going nuts, I'm not getting on that train

I wouldn't be afraid to drive a General Lee car, nor would I care what others think. I like them, beat to death or not ...

I see the 01 on the side I think General Lee. I would do that a skip the flag on the roof. IMHO

I live in the most Liberal of Liberal cities in the US, Santa Cruz, CA and there is a General Lee tribute build that occasionally attends Saturday coffee and cars. There has never been any comment regarding the painted flag on the build just the stories of what the TV show meant to them. Granted the crowd is a bit older and less politically sensitive to current whims.

I live in the most Liberal of Liberal cities in the US, Santa Cruz, CA and there is a General Lee tribute build that occasionally attends Saturday coffee and cars. There has never been any comment regarding the painted flag on the build just the stories of what the TV show meant to them. Granted the crowd is a bit older and less politically sensitive to current whims.
I worked out there for two years on a project at Moss Landing. Rented an apartment on Capatola Ave. for a bit, on . Then stayed up in Soquel off Main. Hung out at Michaels on Main a lot. Great area. Found the folks very liberal, but not hateful or argumentative. I enjoyed my time there.

As mentioned here, do what you like. I can see your concerns, but how about doing it with a little twist. Paint it the new Header Orange, make the number on the side (1.0) and do the rebel flag on the roof but reverse the positions of the red and blue on it. I have never seen a reverse rebel flag before but the point you could make is Southern flavored but with no construed hatred attached.

NO
unless you want to do weddings proms birthdays and make some money from it,
if not id do the Dirty Mary Crazy Larry clone, not many about, and true petrol heads will get it

Auto Transport Service
Back