• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Charger - Need y'alls professional help with decoding Broadcast Sheet as its a bit hard to read

Indetrucks

Local time
3:14 AM
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm having a hard time with this broadcast sheet and was wondering if the professionals out there may be able to help?
I got most of the Fender tag decoded, but the L31 doesn't show as an option for a 69, yet this is a 69 Charger. There are a few other codes that I can't figure out such as C6X.
I'd like to know the gear ratio and whether or not this car has sure grip. Looking to buy this beauty, but want to know more about it.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Resized_20230221_141146.jpeg.jpg

Resized_20230211_140209.jpg

Resized_20230206_111655.jpeg.jpg

c6x-vinal bucket black trim, l31-hood mounted turn signals

Really can't see your broadcast sheet well in that pic. I THINK your car was a 3.23:1 open axle from the factory. An image attached for your reference and you can look closely at your broadcast and correct what I've misread. Line-2; boxes 4 & 5 from the left. Also, the 3-digit axle code next line or so down tells the tale.

I don't believe I've ever seen an axle call-out on any fender tag after 1968 except by indirect reference through a "tagged" axle package. Never say 'never', but I haven't seen it. Lynch Road "tags" the '3-digit', but that's it.

SureGrip69Broadcast.jpg

Last edited:
Really can't see your broadcast sheet well in that pic. I THINK your car was a 3.23:1 open axle from the factory. An image attached for your reference and you can look closely at your broadcast and correct what I've misread. Line-2; boxes 4 & 5 from the left. Also, the 3-digit axle code next line or so down tells the tale.

I don't believe I've ever seen an axle call-out on any fender tag after 1968 except by indirect reference through a "tagged" axle package. Never say 'never', but I haven't seen it. Lynch Road "tags" the '3-digit', but that's it.

View attachment 1422157
Marklevi,
That 53 is correct, but looks like the 1 is missing so it looks like it has an open dif and not sure-grip?

c6x-vinal bucket black trim, l31-hood mounted turn signals
Davek,
Here's where I'm a little bit confused. I looked up the L31 code and according to this decoding page, it says "Hood/Fender Mounted Turn Signals for 70/71 only."
This car is a 69 and clearly doesn't have those turn signals on the hood/fender and is claimed to be all original sheet metal with no body work, only a respray 20 years ago.
lf.jpg

Marklevi,
That 53 is correct, but looks like the 1 is missing so it looks like it has an open dif and not sure-grip?

Davek,
Here's where I'm a little bit confused. I looked up the L31 code and according to this decoding page, it says "Hood/Fender Mounted Turn Signals for 70/71 only."
This car is a 69 and clearly doesn't have those turn signals on the hood/fender and is claimed to be all original sheet metal with no body work, only a respray 20 years ago.
View attachment 1422467
On line decoders like that, generally, suck for the very reason you cite. They fail to offer any differences or distinctions in years or models and cause confusion.

L31 for a 69 Charger indicates the turn signal indicators in the hood. All is well.

On line decoders like that, generally, suck for the very reason you cite. They fail to offer any differences or distinctions in years or models and cause confusion.

L31 for a 69 Charger indicates the turn signal indicators in the hood. All is well.

Ok thanks! Did you see the pic I provided of the car. Am I just not seeing the hood mounted turn signals?
Edit* Nevermind, I see they are down in the hood louvers which cannot be seen from this angle. I'm dumb

Ok thanks! Did you see the pic I provided of the car. Am I just not seeing the hood mounted turn signals?
Edit* Nevermind, I see they are down in the hood louvers which cannot be seen from this angle. I'm dumb

L31 indicators are in the hood depression. Look for wiring on the engine compartment side also.

L31.jpg

One final question, the owner told me the car originally came with a black vinyl roof, but from my research, the R4 R4 (Charger Red) color code on the fender tag and V01 code on the build sheet tells me it came mono tone and is not a vinyl roof car.

Thank you all so very much!

Last edited:
Just because. Just because it doesn't indicate on a build sheet or fender tag doesn't necessarily mean so. And it could've been added at the dealer for buyer's request at time of sale.

Interesting and good point. The car does have the trim along the base of the roof which could be an indication of a vinyl roof?
lr.jpg

...trim along the base of the roof...
Couldn't really see that in your first pic. Very much an indicator of vinyl roof, or 2-tone paint - neither of which is there any reason to believe were "as-equiped" from the factory by the broadcast or fender tag. Dealer-add is certainly possible; the drip-rail molding is different between vinyl/non-vinyl topped cars.

A really basic question that maybe you already checked: do the body stamps match the VIN, broadcast and fender tag?

A really basic question that maybe you already checked: do the body stamps match the VIN, broadcast and fender tag?
Hopefully they do, going to inspect on Friday!
According to the seller, the only two items that are NOT original on this car would be the missing vinyl top (remove during repaint 25yrs ago) and the wheels. Supposedly this car is an accident free, 2 owner car and largely unmolested with all paperwork from new.

eng.jpg

eng1.jpg

int.jpg

trnk1.jpg

trunk.jpg

Good deal. I presume you know where to look on the driver's side radiator yoke and the trunk gutter. Probably can't be peeling trunk weatherstrip to see under, so have a small mirror, or better, take flash pics from below 'til your satisfied your seeing "what" is there. '69, so should be VIN, not order #, so... "9 B 298290". Engine and trans might have just that also - or, they might be complete VINs including the "XP29L" portion.

...and the wheels.
At least they only did the wheels and not the flag and "01" too! LOL

It looks to be a beautiful car -and I am sooooo dam jealous of you Californians/southwest and your good metal. ....ever seen a Wisconsin car?....not pretty.

One final question, the owner told me the car originally came with a black vinyl roof, but from my research, the R4 R4 (Charger Red) color code on the fender tag and V01 code on the build sheet tells me it came mono tone and is not a vinyl roof car.
Can anyone help me confirm this 69 Charger did not come with a vinyl roof based on the pics below?
Thank you all so very much!
View attachment 1425097

View attachment 1425099

It did not come from the factory with a vinyl top.

How much they asking for it?
$72k but I backed out after talking to the previous owner who divulged that the trunk pan and part of the floor pan has been repaired using fiberglass. He also said the interior has been replaced with leather along with a few other interesting facts that convinced me to pass.

The search continues

Auto Transport Service
Back