• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Charger RT power windows

Local time
2:00 PM
Reaction score
I bought a 69 RT charger that has power windows.
I’m installing manual windows. How can you safely remove the quarter windows?
My concern is releasing the tension on the spring once the motor is removed.

IMG_6581.jpeg

IMG_6579.jpeg

Sell the Charger and get one without power windows. Too rare to alter.

Just kidding. Remove the regulator as one assembly with the motor or use vise grips to hold the pivoting assembly.

With a little work power windows can work very well... Why would you remove them? Personally I wish all my cars had them..

You should not have to remove the spring. The entire assembly should be able to be removed at the same time.

I agree on keeping them though. I just installed them into a 71 Satellite.

Harness is jacked. Last owner cut the wires in the door jams. Terminals at the switches are sketchy, and so is the 4 position switch.

It had defrosters to, but they are in a box with the original intake, carb, manifolds, and air cleaner.

One quarter window won’t go up all of the way. I suspect a hard ware issue.
I want to remove the quarter window, but in order to do so I have to remove the motor.

I’m afraid of the load on the spring and possibly creating a dent on the quarter panel if it releases the tension.

Sell the Charger and get one without power windows. Too rare to alter.

Just kidding. Remove the regulator as one assembly with the motor or use vise grips to hold the pivoting assembly.
Quarter window - won’t come out as one unit. Motor has to be removed

My 71 happens to have a section of quarter removed. This is inside.

IMG_8810.jpeg

This is the manual removed showing the spring. You likely have to pull the whole assembly. I’ll try and find a pic of mine out of the car.

No pic. Probably the only thing I missed on all the processes!

IMG_8811.jpeg

Last edited:
When you un-bolt the motor the spring is no longer controlled.... It won't dent the auto body but it can cause a severe injury to any flesh in it's vicinity... DAMHIK...

I've removed and installed many dozens of regulators both front & rear from B/C & E bodies... None have required that the motor be un-bolted from the regulator...

Wiring harnesses cut isn't a problem, switches not a problem... Convert the wiring to incorporate relays, the switches can be repaired and once they are only controlling relays they will live a long time...

power windows on a charger, I would gladly take the pieces and I will use them on my charger.

I’m somewhat new to Mopar, besides a lifted power wagon in the 80’s. I do know no one gives away anything in Mopar cheap…. i have a 67 GTO and a 69 Mustang also.
Saving parts if I unload it in the future. Numbers matching 440/727 RT

IMG_7903.jpeg

IMG_7902.jpeg

IMG_7901.jpeg

IMG_7570.jpeg

IMG_7569.jpeg

IMG_6239.jpeg

71155919030__F14C368E-09BB-4828-B268-0DD645CBE6B2.jpeg

IMG_7534.jpeg

I’m somewhat new to Mopar, besides a lifted power wagon in the 80’s. I do know no one gives away anything in Mopar cheap…. i have a 67 GTO and a 69 Mustang also.

View attachment 1515781

View attachment 1515782

View attachment 1515783

View attachment 1515784

View attachment 1515785

View attachment 1515789

View attachment 1515790

View attachment 1515791
and yet you rip the charger apart :BangHead:

Do you still have the back cover for the wiring connector? If so I'm assuming the little lock tabs are gone? I use a couple tiny (2-56) screws & nuts to close the connector... It'll never give you another problem... It the cover is missing I grab another connector shell, they were used on many body styles for many years so they aren't that hard to find... And the screw trick will still work on good connectors making them more secure than they ever were when new...

smart to save the original pieces,and yes I knew you were not giving the parts away.

View attachment 1515781

View attachment 1515782

View attachment 1515783

View attachment 1515784

View attachment 1515785

View attachment 1515789

View attachment 1515790

View attachment 1515791
Thank you for those pics. That is what I was thinking it would be. I will now be able to build a harness since mine is missing.

Another thing, if you are new to Mopar, we are pretty helpful, so you fit right in there!

I think I will start a wanted ad! I'm gonna borrow your pic.

Welcome from Alabama, power windows are a great option. I have a 68 Coronet R/T matching numbers and I worked for two years to get all the parts to make the power windows work again. @devinism here can rebuild your window switches. I even have a few parts extra. My harnesses were butchered too, so I hear your frustration. The 69 and up switches are a little different appearance wise, but function exactly the same.

Thank you for those pics. That is what I was thinking it would be. I will now be able to build a harness since mine is missing.

Another thing, if you are new to Mopar, we are pretty helpful, so you fit right in there!

I think I will start a wanted ad! I'm gonna borrow your pic.
Welcome aboard Capt Crusty.
gdrill
Have them in my 70. If you need some pics give me a shout.

Auto Transport Service
Back