• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Coronet 440 project

This is a good day! I finally finished the mini tubs and the rear spring mounts. I can start fitting and welding big parts now like floors and quarters.

RearFrameRails01.jpg

RearFrameRails03.jpg

RearFrameRails04.jpg

Got the rear bumper mount installed along with the bumper mount stiffener brackets. It was a whole lot of measuring, fitting, welding and grinding but its in. Next is the trunk floor.
RearBumperMount.jpg

Fitting the trunk floor and ran into a snag so I started a new thread and asked if I should lengthen the passenger side frame rail or not? The spring perches are square and the trunk floor is square to the frame rails and floor under the rear seat. I could cut the frame right behind the rear spring perch and lengthen it by 1/2". Is it worth doing or should I just leave it?

TrunkFloorFitting01.jpg

TrunkFloorFitting02.jpg

TrunkFloorFitting04.jpg

TrunkFloorFitting05.jpg

TrunkFloorFitting06.jpg

I lengthened the frame on the right side by 1/2 inch. The trunk floor fits so much better now. I'm glad I did it even though it was alot of extra work. I probably could have left it but I would have known it was wrong.

FrameLengthing01.jpg

FrameLengthing02.jpg

After that I started fitting the trunk floor, welding on the gas tank strap mounts, and drilling the gazillion holes for plug welding the trunk floor to the frame rails. The trunk floor is flush with the back bumper mount and 11 1/8th inches on each side of the frame. I dont think it can get anymore square than that. It's clamped down and ready for welding.

TrunkFloorFitting10.jpg

TrunkFloorFitting09.jpg

TrunkFloorFitting07.jpg

TrunkFloorFitting08.jpg

20180901_162009.jpg

The trunk floor is welded in. Its starting to look less like a pile of metal and a bit more like a car.

20180909_140528.jpg
20180909_140538.jpg

Now time to dehump the drivers side wheel well. Lots of welding, grinding, and hammering into shape. Its comming together one piece at a time.

The weather was warm enough to do some welding on the Coronet. It sure felt good to get out there and get some more accomplished. Now I can finish the trunk floor and start on the big stuff.

Wheel Well01.jpg

Wheel Well02.jpg

It may not look like much but this little piece was a pain in the *** to make by hand. Still have the other side to do to slowly fill in the gaps in the floor from the mini tubs.

20190323_164820.jpg

20190323_164848.jpg

Good to see you are back hammering away at it. Really like the rear wheel well modification.

Good to see you are back hammering away at it. Really like the rear wheel well modification.

Thanks Joel I figure I can stuff a 12" wide tire in there now. I have torn this thing apart more times than I would like to count but I learned from you to do things right, even the small things and beauty happens. I just look at your Charger build to see results.

Auto Transport Service
Back