• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Coronet 440 project

That humidity kind of got to me today, Lots of storms and down pours going with it lol.. Eastwood makes some pretty good tools, I bought a welding helmet i really like..

Not all of us have a garage :). I'm working under a car port, in a gravel drive way, with 100 degree temps in the summer and 20 degrees in winter

Nice car
Thomas

Same hear, carport with walls and doors and a now, rock hard gravel floor, 18-20 but it works good for summer and winter after i insulated the ceiling.. its a cheap way to have a small garage, Not counting the donated fluorescent lights i have about 2 K in it using a local sawmill for all the lumber except plywood.. small turbo heater keeps it great in the winter. :)

Just read this entire thread from start to latest post, and thanks for your posts and pix. Stuff like this is a big inspiration and helps to build confidence in those of us who haven't attempted some of the work you and others are performing for the first time. If I could suggest a name for your project, I would go with (drum roll......................) "Nuthin' But 'Net". Just my 2 cents. Congrats on your progress.

Just read this entire thread from start to latest post, and thanks for your posts and pix. Stuff like this is a big inspiration and helps to build confidence in those of us who haven't attempted some of the work you and others are performing for the first time. If I could suggest a name for your project, I would go with (drum roll......................) "Nuthin' But 'Net". Just my 2 cents. Congrats on your progress.

Thanks for the kind words gocubzgo, glad I can help out. "Nuthin But Net", not bad LOL. It's that or "Project Tenoroc".

- - - Updated - - -

Ok in between the rain downpours I got some more holes drilled in my trunk floor and some holes welded up in my tail panel. Hopefully I'll be able to get the trunk welded in this weekend.

Good luck repairing that tail panel, it doesn't look to bad and from what ive seen with your work im sure you'll get it done in good shape! That AMD is unreal with the shipping charges, i know repairing this will save you a bunch.

Good luck repairing that tail panel, it doesn't look to bad and from what ive seen with your work im sure you'll get it done in good shape! That AMD is unreal with the shipping charges, i know repairing this will save you a bunch.

Thanks Ron I'm going to need the luck. I figure this is a good panel to learn how to patch because if it doesn't work its not a big deal, just buy a new one. But if I can do this it will be very cool and I'll save some more original metal.

Yea I tell her that all the time. Her room is filled with drawings that good and better

Yea you Calli guys have it easy nothing but cracked dash pads and faded paint. LOL

BigBlock61 It's not quite that good...LOL... but, a tad bit easier anyway, we still get rust, believe me, especially here in the Sierra Mountains/foothills or on the Pacific Coast, it's just allot drier climate inland, no salt on the roads in the mountains snows either, just 100*+ heat, some rain or some snow depending on where you live, but only like 30-40 days "Average" of measurable precipitation {give us 320+ good/dry days}, helps saves these old cars, especially if the car has lived outside for most it's life... On my latest 68 RR #13... I had a deep crease down the whole drivers side, from bumper to bumper, I used all the original metal & metal/prepped/worked it all out, the body line splitting the door & quarters was a real bear, plus some rust on the lower quarters, outer wheel well lip & some at the window bottom corners in the rear & a small hole in the trunk from the rear window leaking, but nothing compare to what your doing, although I have done it all, one time or another on my many cars, fortunately, my current car was heavily under coated & lived it's whole life in the mild climate of the Sacramento Area, saved it allot, the worst part is, it was parked under a Sugar Pine tree for probably 10+ years, I dug pine needles out of everywhere, I was really expecting allot more rust, I got extremely lucky, I seem to get lucky allot... Great 69 Coronet project, I'll be here checking it out regularly...

- - - Updated - - -

I've been working & tinkering on mine since Dec. 2005, I actually had 2 68 RR's HT's at the same time when I 1st bought this car, sold the other one to a friend that wanted to go racing & not do all the testing & figure it out, so he bought mine & just went racing.... Unfortunately I have way too many other house projects, eating up my funds & a really slow construction & housing economy out here... I either have time & no extra money or just no time.... I'll bet yours will be finished, before mine will be 100% finished... I don't usually have it "not drivable" for very long, it's just too fun to not be able to drive... I try to make sure what ever I do, so I can still drive it with in a week or so... Kind of enjoy it as I go somewhat... I've never really done it that way before, I kind of like it thou.... But it's been Ultra-flat Black, for way too long now, my next big step is to completely tear it apart yet "again"...LOL..., for my LL1 Surf Turquoise Metallic paint, with black accents... "Maybe" this year latter on... yeah right....

Oh yea I know what the sea air will do to a car. You really fixed a dent that large? That couldn't have been fun to do. I have a crease in my drivers quarter and I already decided to replace it instead of fixing it. My hats off to you.
One of the things I want to do with my Coronet after it's completed is to drive it to Reno Nevada for their hot august nights cruse. I used to live there and really miss that cruse for some reason. I hope that you can find some time to get your roadrunner the way you want it. The honey do list always seems to get in the way.

- - - Updated - - -

Today's a red letter day in history. I got my trunk welded in. :hello2::hello2::hello2::hello2: Tomorrow I install the flux capacitor. It only requires 1.21 Gigawatts to power it.

Here it is after the holes were drilled and it was aligned.

TrunkFloorInstall_1.jpg

TrunkFloorInstall_2.jpg

And then after a marathon of plug welds.

TrunkFloorInstall_3.jpg

TrunkFloorInstall_4.jpg

TrunkFloorInstall_5.jpg

Tomorrow starts the all day process of grinding the welds flat. I actually have a sunburn on my right arm from all the welding today. LOL Who needs a tanning booth! After that I'll weld the inner fender wells to the floor and start bracing. Once I resave the money, I'll get the package tray from moparmark and start on that.

TrunkFloorInstall_1.jpg TrunkFloorInstall_2.jpg TrunkFloorInstall_3.jpg TrunkFloorInstall_4.jpg TrunkFloorInstall_5.jpg

john, that mopar is coming back to life,i love seeing these old cars bought back to life, i still say chrysler needs to send a check to all of us,remaking these cars.you should be able to eat that tail panel up and spit it out.very nice work.

Oh yea I know what the sea air will do to a car. You really fixed a dent that large? That couldn't have been fun to do. I have a crease in my drivers quarter and I already decided to replace it instead of fixing it. My hats off to you.
One of the things I want to do with my Coronet after it's completed is to drive it to Reno Nevada for their hot august nights cruse. I used to live there and really miss that cruse for some reason. I hope that you can find some time to get your roadrunner the way you want it. The honey do list always seems to get in the way.

Thanks it was just allot of bang pull shrink sand grind, bang pull shrink sand grind... My step father Bob was a great old school body guy {he was a Welder/Pipe Fitter by trade, great with a grinder, torch, welder & metals}, maybe just a little rubbed off on me...LOL..., I really don't enjoy doing body work, probably why my car still isn't done, I take some short cuts he probably wouldn't ever do... But he/Bob could metal prep the hell out of almost anything, it was amazing, he once did a 65 Corvair for a cousin of mine who ran "head on" into a telephone pole & pushed everything back like 18"s & repaired it all, no new sheet metal, the hood pan fenders bumper etc. were just fixed, just a few small patches here & there, where it was too wrinkled to flatten out, with out stretching too much... I wish I had his talent for body work & now he's too old now to do it anymore either... I just do it for myself, no matter how long it takes, I hate to pay someone else, for something I can do myself with a little sweat & the proper tools... That's how I learned, I was taught by a great car guy... Thanks for the compliments

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats on your great progress, looks great....

Looking awesome man! Glad to hear you're getting a break in the weather to work on that welder's tan lol

Good luck with the tail panel patching, and feel free to shoot me a pm on here if you have any questions. Shouldn't be too bad though, just keep your gaps tight around the patch, keep the amps as high as you can without blowing through, make quick tacks, and don't let the metal get too hot. Warping is no bueno

Also if it helps, I made my smaller patches using a sheet of packing foam as a template. Just cut it to the size you want with an exacto knife and it gives you a nice template to trace off of.

Picture1.jpg For motivation the 69 is a great car
Always good to see Dodge enthusiast. Had my Coronet R/T since 71. It is in the restoration shop now.

Good Luck.

and feel free to shoot me a pm on here if you have any questions.

Also if it helps, I made my smaller patches using a sheet of packing foam as a template. Just cut it to the size you want with an exacto knife and it gives you a nice template to trace off of.

Be careful what you offer I may just take you up on it LOL. If I have any questions I'll be sure to ask. The packing foam sounds like a good idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks it was just allot of bang pull shrink sand grind, bang pull shrink sand grind...

Sounds like what I'm doing now with the addition of weld. It would be great to have someone close to learn from. Your step dad sounds talented.

- - - Updated - - -

john, that mopar is coming back to life,i love seeing these old cars bought back to life, i still say chrysler needs to send a check to all of us,remaking these cars.you should be able to eat that tail panel up and spit it out.very nice work.

Thanks for the kind words Johnny. You guys keep me going.

- - - Updated - - -

that looks great!

Thanks Basket case, that's what I'm going for. LOL

You did a hell of a job on the trunk floor, looks great.:headbang:

Be careful what you offer I may just take you up on it LOL. If I have any questions I'll be sure to ask. The packing foam sounds like a good idea.

Lol don't worry about it, I've gotten so much help from everyone on here its the least I can do to pass it on :icon_thumleft: and yeah it made things easier for me at least, that way you don't have to be making perfect measurements to match the patch section to the hole. Just trace, cut, weld lol :chain saw:

Auto Transport Service
Back