• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Coronet, the "Wanna-Bee"..or "Wanna B R/T"

jeepthrills01

Local time
6:55 AM
Reaction score
Had this one sitting on the back burner for a few years. ..Figured it was time to break it out of dry storage in Arizona. When i bought it 4 years ago....It came off the Navajo Reservation with an Edelbroke 600 and an old SP2P intake. It had 2 stuck valves that have started moving again since driving it on and off the trailer a few times.....even stopped blowing the blue cloud of death. Tranny was freshly rebuilt too. But best of all....damn near perfect sheet metal. The truth to that will be seen after the dip job when painting time comes. But all I have found is a dollar sized bubble in the paint on the driver's 1/4 panel behind the wheel well. The rockers and cross members are all perfect.
It's a November 1968 Lynch Rd product. Numbers matching 318 and TF904...HD manual drum brakes,power steeing, SG 3.23, originally B3 exterior with dark blue cloth split bench and carpet, light blue door cards and dash.
My ultimate goal is to modernize the drive train with a 392 or Hell Crate..but that's down the road a bit. I aquired a motorhome 78 440 with 30k miles, the motor home 727...and a fresh unused rebuilt Hemi TF727, a nice used pair of Headmann coated headers, a Holley 3310 (freshly rebuilt now), Performer RPM, and a slightly used black Legendary interior. I've got a line on a slightly used set of Stealths and 440s roller rockers with all the shims/spacers/billet hold downs..(he is upgrading to Indys). Intent is cruising....maybe DOT drag night 1/4 mile a few times a year....we shall see.

Posts to follow.

20190401_234823.jpg 20190403_175523.jpg 20190209_134622.jpg

Last edited:
Forgot to mention....when I bought it the PO included what appears to be all the hardware/calipers/spindles/rotors to add front disk brakes....looks like A body stuff...so ...10 or 11 in rotors? I'm not sure...it's all buried in a crate.

Maybe the HD brake option added the heavy case? I know it added the SG.

Or just random chance of a 49 year old car that was on the Navajo Res most of its life....it's kinda like Cuba up there....you'd be surprised at the ingenious ways things are reused.

Well....since I'm waiting on some money to come in to add to the 440....I thought I'd do a little housekeeping on the 318.

Last night I took a ride around the block...and the urge hit me...I stopped down in an unpopulated dead end and proceeded to lay a 10 to 15 ft stretch of new rubber....then it started telling me the timing was off...so I backed off it...and putted home....with a light trail of blue smoke behind me every foot of the ride. So I spent today tossing on a new set of valve seals...I'm about half done...compressions were good...I seafoamed it early this morning...I'll see how she does in a couple hours.

I'm thinking that burn out helped to re seat the rings.....maybe the seafoam...I'll take it.
20190426_182921.jpg

Do you mind me asking where did you pick up the spring compressor? What brand and did you like it? I bought one like that at Canadian Tire up here and it lasted for one seal. I finished up using the pry bar method. I used a modified upholstery pry bar.
Thanks.
We had a 69 Coronet back in 76=80. Made me the Chryco guy I am today.

I've had it for ....dang..over 10 years...probably used it on a dozen cars...no issues.
There is no stamping or engraving on it....I'm thinking Leslie or OTC? Im fairly certain I picked it up from Napa.

Pretty sure that's identical to the one I picked up off Amazon.ca for about 30 bucks Kent...
beerestoration2017 032.JPG

Thanks guys! I'll check them out on Amazon and our local Napa in the morning.

Got the timing sorted out despite not having a scale to reference...and surprisingly. ..no more smoke. I think another seafoam treatment is in order.

The Wanna B R/T gets 2 new sneakers. A pair of Cobra 275/60s on some cheap steelies.
20190502_183047.jpg

Anyone have a clue as to a code or name for this color? I was thinking of a scuff and single stage quick paint for now...
Basicly repair the clear.

Last edited:
compressed air may strip most of what's left of the clear on there! looks close to a 1974 Chrysler color.

So apparently the neighborhood Nazis disapproved of my hobby. I thought it might have been the seafoam treatment...but the dates don't jive....before renting this place I read the CC&R's.....I know the rules....and have been abiding and following them to the letter. Guess I've got a shitty neighbor who's too much of a pussy to come over and talk to me. ...Well bad news for them....I'm within their laws...I'll continue...as I see fit....if the land lord gives me ****...he can terminate my lease....:soapbox:

But on a high note...after finding 4 messed up wheel studs on one side....I decided to open that crate of disk brake stuff and take a look.....it came with the car....looked like 10" a body stuff.
Turns out I've got adapters for KH pin calipers....for 11.75 brakes! Also the bigger 2.6" pistons in said calipers...but only 10.87 rotors. So...looking for a set of Cordoba rotors...a new master cylinder.....and of course.....2 new 15" tires to go on the new rims...cause 11.75's won't fit under 14s which I already have...:cursin:

Really having a love hate relationship with Amazon

Got a scorching hot deal on a Voodoo 702 off Amazon for the 318( update.. see post #33)...and had a really clean Performer 318/360 fall into my lap for peanuts from craigslist... not sure if I should install em...or flip 'em and put the profits into the 440 fund.

Seems like the world is steering me towards keeping the "teener" in a bit longer.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back