• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 GTX... acorns in the motor......confirmed

1968rt

Local time
10:20 AM
Reaction score
Well the reason the motor wouldnt spin all the way was acorns in some cylinders! Cleaned them out and sprayed everything with PB blaster. Spins great now. Do you think it would be OK to try and start it?
IMG_3187.JPG
IMG_3188.JPG

That's just nutz! Squirrels in there picnicking?:elmer:

IMO, Change oil & filter then prime the system verifying you have oil pressure on a mechanical gauge. Then do a compression test.

uh, I would at least remove heads, and check them over and clean any remaining debrie and look at what you got, since your half way there already. but to each there own, could fire right up.,

From your photos I can't see what you have to lose. Fire it up! Is the exhaust plugged up too?
Mike

I thought about pulling the heads, but a full rebuild is in the near future so Im going to oil it up and give it a rip!

Just know that if that crap gets in the bearings you may score up the crank..

X2... Looks like a lot of crap. Probably rust from rodent piss too. Why take a chance on screwing something up if its coming out for a rebuild anyway?

I will never understand these yahoos who take intakes, valve covers and heads off perfectly good engines and leave them for dead outside in the elements uncovered. ******* idiots
rant over

If you decide to fire it up make sure the throttle is at least 50% open :luvplace:

I'd pull the heads to check the bores. You don't want to score them.

Picked up an endoscope. Going to take a look in each cylinder first

Holy crap! That's a lot of acorns! I found mice remains when I pulled the intake and it was on a stand in a shop. Those little bastards get everywhere!

20190929_093256.jpg

Yeah, I'd probably drop the oil pan and check it before starting that. I had debris block the pick up once.

Auto Transport Service
Back