• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 gtx

101_2094.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

101_2096.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

101_2091.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

101_2095.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Well I put the Cal trac springs & Dana under the X today. I think the ride hieght will be ok once the chassis is loaded. I got the -1 springs and the springs in the upper hole up front. I want it to sit with the upper part of the rim even with the wheel lip. I have some spring pads that I made that will lower it another 3/4" if needed. I also need to alter the front spring section as the tire needs to come forward in the wheel well about 1". I'm going to wait till I get everything else in the car before I finish the Dana to get the correct pinion angle and ride height. Does look pretty good from the back.

Man, this is sometimes hard to swallow, My mouth waters looking at that sitting there! You think it looks good from the back, yes sir it does but that side view ( first one ) is something to take in also... Man, some day!! :)

Cool! Now what are the tire and rim sizes? Just guessing, but it looks like your wheels are further back than I have figured mine are, or will be. Why is that if we both used the same springs, hangers, etc.? Is that a body difference thing maybe?

I measured and there was a 1.5 differance in the eyebolt location on the front offset hanger, I think they were orignally meant for SS springs which may have had a shorter front section. I'll just get my carbide drill bit out and redrill the hole in the front spring. I think 3/4 to 1. should put it back where it looks right. I think I'll put my spring perches in to see how much differance that makes also. The wheels are 15x10 with 5" BS

IMG_20141215_165507.jpgIMG_20141215_165219.jpgIMG_20141215_172759.jpg
So I switched out the spring perches for the ones I made, they measure about .8 taller. I think I will have the ride height real close now. I expect them to settle at least another 1" with the added weight of the car assembled. Next will be correcting the wheel in the opening by moving it forward about 1.5" It has about 3" between the tire and wheel lip

Last edited:
Got one spring fixed last night hope to get the other done Thurs night and get the dana where it's supposed to be for good!

That is exciting! Your progress is helping keep me motivated on my project. That blue color is one of the colors that I was looking at for my car. Trying to decide what color to use has been a harder decision than I thought it would be.
Keep up the good work.

That is exciting! Your progress is helping keep me motivated on my project. That blue color is one of the colors that I was looking at for my car. Trying to decide what color to use has been a harder decision than I thought it would be.
Keep up the good work.

I agree he does have a color on that gal that is one of the very best and having to pick a color is the hardest decision there is outside of one..... what wheels do we get to compliment that car and "her" color.. And this particular car cant loose!!!

Thanks Ron. I'm thinking of buying another set for strip action maybe, but that'll be after she's up and running. Hope to get the Dana put where she belongs tonight. I post another pic when I get it done.

I agree he does have a color on that gal that is one of the very best and having to pick a color is the hardest decision there is outside of one..... what wheels do we get to compliment that car and "her" color.. And this particular car cant loose!!!
Your right. I have spent a lot of time trying to figure out what wheels to put on. I still have not made that decision. Like you said, it needs to "compliment the car and her color".

Kid the rears are 325/50/15 fronts are a little short I think may have to put some taller ones on. They are 4" wide rims up front. I'll look to see what size they are tonight.

Ah,ok, 28" dia.. I'm hoping to stuff a 315/60-15 (same width as your 325/50/15 - 11.9"), but 30" dia. About what kinda inside clearance are you getting to the spring?, I can't tell from that rear pic.. Since we both have the same off-set spring kit the inside clearance should be close to the same on our cars.

69, that is a monster with those tires and my favorite wheels for mopar i can not wait to see you do more assembly on that beast and of course my favorite color,bring that monster alive!

DSCN2649.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

DSCN2647.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

DSCN2648.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Kid I have about .5 clearance on the back between the tire & springs. I do have a 65 B body Dana which is about 1-1.5 narrower than the 69. I did lose a little with the disc brakes also. So not sure that mine will be the same as yours but should be close. I moved the axle forward 1.5, but think I may move it back about .4 as I have only about 1.2 in front for clearance. I threw the front wheel in the opening just for a look. Front tire is 26-7.50/15 but measures closer to 25" tall so I may change them to something closer to 27 to try and help give me max front end travel at the strip as I've heard the Cal Tracs like at least 5" of lift up front. Thanks for the kind words MJohnny! I can't wait either!

Last edited:
Outstanding! I can picture one in my shop all together like this, NO GTX but inspiring pictures and just beautiful, Thank you sir for posting, add some chrome, and the bumpers with chrome and how you go in at night without a few dozen turn a rounds before is not going to be a simple task! Those tires look fantastic on this old gal, makes it look mean as the 69's can get! I am humbled buddy!!! :icon_pray:

Thanks everyone for the nice comments! I'm going for a retro/ Mr. Norm/ sleeper look. But I guess the tires & hood kinda rule out the sleeper part. Was busy all weekend with a wedding & Christmas events so didn't get any X time. Might try to slip on some weather stripping on the trunk and doors next to try and let them take a set.

Those wheel's really fill up the rear well's real nice! Happy weather stripping! Be sure to offset to the left or right where the two ends of the weatherstripping meet, for the trunk seal (like the factory did). The latch assembly area act's as a pinch point, thus de-laminating the seal from the metal, if centered.

1968 Dodge Coronet RT trunk dr.jpg

BTW....clothespins are your friends! Good luck

Will what adhesive did you find works the best for this?

Will what adhesive did you find works the best for this?

I'd buy the 3M Black weatherstrip adhesive. The stuff works great! A lot of box stores like Home Depot, Lowes and other sell it. Same goes for Nappers, Twilight Zone and O'really Don't Know Auto.

Auto Transport Service
Back