• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 gtx

and I'm sure these aren't cheap by any means, and to have to cut them down? how about making what is needed.

Got the speaker hole patched up.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah 350$ for the 4 pcs BC

- - - Updated - - -

GTX sheetmetal 003.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Welded nuts on the back side of the offset spring hangers.

- - - Updated - - -

GTX sheetmetal 004.jpg
Boxed in one end of a piece of 1.5 x 3 tubing for the frame hole for the nuts. The threaded hole is so I can pull it p against the frame for welding.

- - - Updated - - -

GTX sheetmetal 008.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

GTX sheetmetal 009.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

GTX sheetmetal 010.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Jack bracket in, check.

- - - Updated - - -

GTX sheetmetal 011.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Got the POR15 on, will put the Lizzard Skin sound & thermal coating on tomorrow. Also found a interferance issue with the outer wheeltub I somehow missed. Wrestled with what to do, but decided I wouldn't be happy with anything but how I want it. I want the top of the wheel opening to be right at the top of the rim lip so I'm doing some rework now.

Good job on the hanger set-up, similar to what I did but better since you have the 2 possible positions for the bolt. I just welded 1 nut on each side. Are you going to weld the hanger to the frame? I thought that would help strengthen the frame and the hanger. I welded mine on at first but changed my mind and cut them off.
Are you saying the top of your tire is hitting the top of the outer wheel well up inside?

Looking good, moving right along 69 GTX. But I wondered, did you grind or blast that floor before the POR15? I've found that it does not like smooth metal and starts to peel. It won't come off rough or rusty surfaces but new metal is a problem.

I concur Photon440. I did my floor with Por15 and it peeled about 3 years later in a couple areas. Not a big deal. We are overkilling these cars now anyway in restorations. Mine at least, will never see ANY Minnesota winter salt roads!!

Kid I'm not welding the bracket to the frame, to much gap and screws up alignment of bolt/spring. I figure with torque boxes & frame rail connectors it'll be fine.
Photon inside floor was sand blasted so not smooth, plus I roughed it up with 80 grit DA on top of that. Lizzard skin goes on tonight I'll post
a picture of that and wheel well. Kid it was rubbing on the outside vertical side of tub. Not the top. Will try to get some pictures of that also.

Kid I'm not welding the bracket to the frame, to much gap and screws up alignment of bolt/spring. I figure with torque boxes & frame rail connectors it'll be fine.
Photon inside floor was sand blasted so not smooth, plus I roughed it up with 80 grit DA on top of that. Lizzard skin goes on tonight I'll post
a picture of that and wheel well. Kid it was rubbing on the outside vertical side of tub. Not the top. Will try to get some pictures of that also.

Funny, my hanger came out right against the frame.. I have torque boxes and connectors also but I thought since those are forward of that area a welded hanger would help the hanger and the frame. I see now, you welded a box in the frame that should be good and strong.
I did a mod to my outer wells to open them up in that spot and get rid of the hump, that sounds like where your rubbing. I posted a few pics of how I did it, if you haven't seen them they may help you, toward the bottom of the page> http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?46289-500-68-charger/page12

With my car the sheet metal had a little flange that was spot welded to the frame co it kept the hanger from fitting up flush. I'll check out your thread. Got the Lizzard skin thermal coating on tonight. Sound deadner Lizzard skin tomorrow night. Wheel tubs Sunday.

- - - Updated - - -

GTX sheetmetal 001.jpgGTX sheetmetal 002.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

GTX sheetmetal 003.jpg

Had to stop last night and pick up some cheap reader glasses so I could get my eyes to focus up in the wheel tub while welding. Always helpful when trying to weld is to see what your doing. Damn getting old sucks!!!:glasses1:

- - - Updated - - -

My normal glasses are +1.25 had to get 3.5's to see @ 6-10". not a lot of room even though they're wider now.

well again looking very goo getting a lot done I see :headbang: and yes as you get older it is nice having a pair of cheaters around to us

GTX sheetmetal 002.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

So here's my dehumping of the outer wheeltub after the quarters are on. so the cut line is on the crease line.

- - - Updated - - -

I bent a 1" lip up from the cut. Then cut a 22" piece of sheetmetal 1.875 wide and bent a 90 in it with a .75 leg on one side. I then took the temper out of it with the tourch by heating it red hot.

- - - Updated - - -

GTX sheetmetal 006.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Then I took my shrinker I bought at Harbor frieght and worked a 30" radius to start with, then worked it to match the arch.

- - - Updated - - -

GTX sheetmetal 007.jpgGTX sheetmetal 003.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

GTX sheetmetal 008.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I made 2 small patches for the ends and then welded up.

- - - Updated - - -

GTX sheetmetal 010.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

GTX sheetmetal 012.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Sanded down with a flapper wheel and ready for undercoating. Took me about 2 hours per side.

- - - Updated - - -

Right at 8" from lip to top of arch. Straight up from the inside of the lip. Just a few little things to tiddy up then it goes on the trailer to the body shop.:headbang:

Nice work, I've got to buy me one of those.

They're 179 for the pair @ HArbor Freight. Find a 20% off coupon and save more. They work great on .045 as long as it's annealed really good. There are better ones out there but these work good for no more than I plan on using them.

Well finishing up just a few details before it goes to the body shop for some B5 color!:wav:

Oh you're that "69 GTX" looking for the wheel opening rims. I just finished reading your whole post on your project. Can't tell you how impressed I am with your restoration work. This is a class a project and I'm with you on the restomod. I like it look fairly stock on the outside with some big hairy balls on the inside. A beast under the hood.

I told you I'd try to find the vendor I purchased my rim lips from. I have - no luck yet. But I'm going to go back and try extra hard to find a scrap do paper or receipt or something that tells me whom I bought mine from. I'd be proud to have helped you out one tiny bit with this monster project your doing so well with.

My restoration is basically a car wash compared to what you're doing. Be back to you.

Nice work! I wondered if anyone ever tried a dehump mod with quarters on. Good thinking!

nice job looking very good :headbang:

IMG_20140816_100303[1].jpg
Headed to the body shop for paint.

- - - Updated - - -

Whadda ya think will the rear wheel set up catch on as the new rat rod craze?

- - - Updated - - -

Went from 3.73's to 5.13's in just a wheel swap:rolling:

kinda an extreme reverse to Donk Wheels......

Love those rear wheels! That's the kind of rubber I want under my X. Just wonder if they'll pass NHRA rules. If they do that's where I'm going.....:icon_madu:

Auto Transport Service
Back