• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 gtx

So I made a drawing for a fixture I'll make to hold everything in place while everything cures. I'll post a picture of it when done.

More work on the grill last night. The good grill I removed all the studs & brackets. I had one stud that was bent, got it repaired. Man is it nerve racking removing those studs!

grill15.jpg

Made a new pillar for the one stud on the old grill. And fixed, glued the broken corner. I'll dress them up and then mix up a acetone mixture to add some more material for strength.
grill14.jpg
grill13.jpg

Last edited:
Oh boy, you ain't kidding. They are brittle. On that new mount, what did you use to glue it?

it's a permatex product for "welding plastic" 2 part glue" has a hint of Testors airplane glue smell...
:fool:
I'll post a picture of it. Sets in 5 min so easy to work with.

Made a new pillar for the one stud on the old grill. And fixed, glued the broken corner. I'll dress them up and then mix up a acetone mixture to add some more material for strength.
View attachment 615946 View attachment 615948
That reminds me of working with my brittle grille. Your doing a great job.
Don't forget to do some fishing and other camping activities while you are camping also.

Last edited:
it's a permatex product for "welding plastic" 2 part glue" has a hint of Testors airplane glue smell...
:fool:
I'll post a picture of it. Sets in 5 min so easy to work with.
I haven’t had much luck gluing things like that over the years but adhesives have come a long way in the last ten years. Can longer studs be used so that they bridge the joint between the new part of the tower and the original grill? Just curious.

That stud was missing, so I was panning on gluing in the stud that I had to make as a replacement. I also planned on adding more plastic material around it to give it more strength.

Here's the fixture I made to locate the GTX emblem.
fixture.jpg

That reminds me of working with my brittle grille. Your doing a great job.
Don't forget to do some fishing and other camping activities while you are camping also
Will do, but the forcast is for 94-98 so I may sit in front of a fan and work on the grille instead.

I haven’t had much luck gluing things like that over the years but adhesives have come a long way in the last ten years. Can longer studs be used so that they bridge the joint between the new part of the tower and the original grill? Just curious.

When I did mine I used Brownell's Acraglas Gel, which is used for bedding rifle actions. The stuff works extremely well. Better than 2 part epoxy imho.

Took lot's of reference pictures for overspray and colors.
grill21.jpg
grill20.jpg
grill19.jpg
grill17.jpg
grill16.jpg

Tried out the fixture on the good grill, fit like a glove. I made it so it lined up with the corners on the grill. Should work just fine.
grill24.jpg

So I tried working on the grille last weekend. It was middle 90's and the epoxy glue was trying to set up a little to fast for my liking so I only glued the one side in. So I finished and filed the epoxy down to make it look presentable. Then when I got home I got everything in the garage where it was cooler. And finished up the mount for the other stud locater.
grill26.jpg
grill28.jpg
grill27.jpg
grill24.jpg
grill25.jpg

Tonight I'll do some more finish work in that area. Then I'll start prepping for paint. If any of you guys need a grill this one will be for sale after I finish it. I always try to give the guys who follow my thread first shot at anything.

I suppose I deserve that G. Hopefully it will be rumbling the walls of my garage this year.

Auto Transport Service
Back