• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 lift off hood

beecudabee

Local time
6:58 AM
Reaction score
I have what I believe is an original road runner fiberglass lift off hood. Looking for advice on identifying it as original.

IMG_3445.jpeg

IMG_3444.jpeg

IMG_3443.jpeg

IMG_3438.jpeg

The glass will have a greenish tint.
ANY authentication will be done by looking at the underside of the hood.
I'd have to pull mine off and compare my 100% original bracing to yours.
Edit: but from looking at your pics again, the topside looks to have a nice greenish tint in the thin spots. From here, I'd say 90% chance it's a real A12 hood. I can check the screw hole locations for the stud plates too.

Last edited:
I've never seen an aftermarket one that had the underside reproduced like the originals. Particularly where the air cleaner seals to the hood.

Its my guess that anyone who reproduced them didn't have an original to copy so they made the underside in a variety of ways - concerned only with the topside appearance.

To me, that looks original - only because I've never seen a repop with the underside that looks like that.

Your stud plate hole orientation is right, but checking mine reminded me.... the factory used rivets, not screws.
I haven't pulled mine off yet to check the underside.
But I'm up to 95% sure it's real.
Edit. I'm 95% sure YOURS is real. I'm 100% sure of mine, lol.

Last edited:
I have an original on my 68 X. Mine was acquired in 71. That is the real deal in your pics IMO.

Your stud plate hole orientation is right, but checking mine reminded me.... the factory used rivets, not screws.
I haven't pulled mine off yet to check the underside.
But I'm up to 95% sure it's real.
3 rivets and 1 screw or VS.

Any idea what the value might be. I have no use for it so I probably sell it.
Not sure - if you invested a little in its cosmetics $1000 maybe. It looks pretty solid. As it sits half that. But honestly those are educated guesses. I got mine w/the whole nine yards - Intake/carbs/air cleaner/hood. The originals are not an easy find and they’re 3x better than any repop. I’ve zero doubt yours is original. If you want a better measure of value and to sell - FBBO also has an a12 forum attached to it. Those guys eat, drink and sleep a12 stuff.
IMG_0024.jpeg

Last edited:
Repops are 6-700 bucks. I'd say that one "as is" is easily worth that. If you're going to sell it, do nothing to it, let the next guy do whatever they want to pretty it up.

Give it a wash and list it at $1k. It looks like it is great shape for an original.

It looks just like mine, I would say orginal.

Auto Transport Service
Back