• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 roadrunner 4 speed tunnel location

Watchthis

Local time
4:04 AM
Reaction score
Ok, I know there is a lot of posts on the 4 speed conversion. I've searched and not found a good answer to my problem. My project is a 69 satellite that is a factory 3 on the tree. I put a 4 speed in this car in the 80s, due to issues with the counter shafts in the 3 speed. Now some 20+ years later, I want to put the correct 4 speed tunnel in the car. I have bought an AMD tunnel. The fit is far from perfect, but I expected that. So my question is, should the tunnel top be even with the apex of the floor pan, or should it be just below the apex? I don't have a carpet yet for this car but want to finish this floor pan. I just don't want to weld it in to low and have problems with carpet fitment.

If someone can get you some measurements that would be great, but I have put a few in and to be honest they will only fit the floor good in one spot. You should be able to move it around and find where it sort of needs to be and where it sets on the floor the best. If not I might be able to get a few measurements for you this weekend.
Matt

I am currently parting out a 68 4 speed car. The back of the tunnel was cut to accommodate an old Hurst Ramrod shifter but most of it is there. Hope this helps.
Hump 2.JPG
Hump 1.JPG
Hump 4.JPG Hump 3.JPG

Perfect. Thanks guys. This should solve the mystery. Thanks again.

I have bought an AMD tunnel. The fit is far from perfect
Just finished installing an AMD hump and the fit was perfect. There is a contour along the floor to set fore-aft position and it fit like a glove. Traced the outline then cut 1" in, more at the back edge to avoid cutting into the cross brace.

Just finished installing an AMD hump and the fit was perfect. There is a contour along the floor to set fore-aft position and it fit like a glove. Traced the outline then cut 1" in, more at the back edge to avoid cutting into the cross brace.
I'll have to take a picture of mine. It had gaps at the bottom and top. I'll refit it this weekend. And snap some pictures.

I just don't want to weld it in to low and have problems with carpet fitment.
This is a legitimate concern. There will be wiggle room in the carpet. More importantly you will know it's too low if there's no room for the gas pedal and your foot.

We had a 3 on the tree Belvedere. The install was pretty straight forward. I'll see if I can find the pix. The AMD was a perfect fit for us.

Auto Transport Service
Back