• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adjustable 68 318 Motor Mounts?

VitaMeVas

Local time
1:06 AM
Reaction score
I have a 68 Plymouth Satellite with a stroker 390 (original 318) that I put a Gearstar 4L65E 4 spd automatic behind it. Everything works great and the car drives perfect on the highway. In order to get the 4L65E in, I had to ‘massage’ the trans tunnel. My problem is that the tail of the 4L65E is clearing the trans tunnel up until the mopar floor crossmember that the transmission crossmember bolts to. To get the engine and tranny to sit more level…. I either need to cut out the mopar floor cross member (that gives structure to the middle/rear of the floor) or maybe there’s a company that can move the original motor mounts forward 1-2 inch’s (which I do have fan clearance for). Yes…. I know this is what happens with a GM transmission in a mopar. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a 68 Plymouth Satellite with a stroker 390 (original 318) that I put a Gearstar 4L65E 4 spd automatic behind it. Everything works great and the car drives perfect on the highway. In order to get the 4L65E in, I had to ‘massage’ the trans tunnel. My problem is that the tail of the 4L65E is clearing the trans tunnel up until the mopar floor crossmember that the transmission crossmember bolts to. To get the engine and tranny to sit more level…. I either need to cut out the mopar floor cross member (that gives structure to the middle/rear of the floor) or maybe there’s a company that can move the original motor mounts forward 1-2 inch’s (which I do have fan clearance for). Yes…. I know this is what happens with a GM transmission in a mopar. Any help would be appreciated.
You will be better off cutting the floor to change out the top of the cross member. Pull the front seat/s out and the carpet for access. That will save the cost of a longer drive shaft and the car will handle and launch from a stand still better. If you can't fabricate the top cross member piece yourself hire it done. I think even with paying for the service you will still save $.
Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back