• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'69 Roadrunner aftermarket intake

Dimension

Local time
2:13 PM
Reaction score
I have a '69 Roadrunner with the Air Grabber setup. I have been doing some research into replacing the stock 383 intake and carb but it appears that this is not possible due to a height issue with the Air Grabber. Is this correct still for the threads I have seen are around 10 years old now. I would have thought that someone would have started producing an aftermarket intake and carb setup that would work on a 383 with the Air Grabber. In other research I have done the stock Carter carb and intake just was not able providing enough air fuel mixture and that upgrading to something like a Holly 750 double pumper with a better intake really improved the performance of the 383.

Does there exist an intake and carb setup that will fit on a 383 without modifying the Air Grabber?

The Edelbrock DP4B works. It's a old intake but a good design for a mild street engine. A buddy used one on his 70 Bee with Air Grabber and no clearance issues.

The Edelbrock DP4B works. It's a old intake but a good design for a mild street engine. A buddy used one on his 70 Bee with Air Grabber and no clearance issues.
How much of an improvement is it over the stock?

I am thinking that the block will need to be bored and if it does need to be bored then I am looking to mildly build it. Looking at going with 10.5:1 or 11:1 pistons along with maybe a bigger cam. I was told that it has a 440 cam in it now but until I get the numbers off the cam I am not 100% on that. I would love to be able to do something like Nick's Gurage did in this setup but I know that the intake will not fit under the hood.

DP4B is a good intake. The modern Edelbrock Performer is really no improvement over stock.

How much of an improvement is it over the stock?

I am thinking that the block will need to be bored and if it does need to be bored then I am looking to mildly build it. Looking at going with 10.5:1 or 11:1 pistons along with maybe a bigger cam. I was told that it has a 440 cam in it now but until I get the numbers off the cam I am not 100% on that. I would love to be able to do something like Nick's Gurage did in this setup but I know that the intake will not fit under the hood.

Sorry, you can't have it both ways. A mild 383 with a Edelbrock high rise intake that works with your hood or a hot rod 383 with a tall intake and big carb.

Sorry, you can't have it both ways. A mild 383 with a Edelbrock high rise intake that works with your hood or a hot rod 383 with a tall intake and big carb.
I understand that what Nick did is not possible with the hood but I wondering if there was an option that was better than the stock intake that I have currently. It looks like there is mixed reviews from what I have seen so far on the DP4B being better.

Has anyone here replaced their stock intake with the DP4B and can say without a doubt that it made a difference?

How about this....is there a way that the stock intake can be machined for better air flow?

The Weiand Action + will also fit under the air grabber ductwork.

I have air grabber on my 69 GTX. I have a Holley Street Dominator intake on an RB block

intake 2.JPG intake.JPG air cleaner 2.JPG

I have been doing more research and found where someone was able to put a low rise Torker 383 on their 383 using the 440 base plate. The posting is of course old and I am unable to find where anyone else has done this. Can anyone confirm that the Torker can be using with the air grabber on a 383 using the 440 base plate?

I found this base plate for $145 but it does not specify if it is for the 383 or 440. I have emailed their customer service to find out.
https://aarqualityfiberglass.com/product/base-plate-1969-1970-single-4-barrell-oval/

Which intake are running? That is definitely not the stock intake.
You quoted the answer. He is running a Holley Street Dominator........

Since Frankb has a Holly Dominator intake on his setup it appears then that I could possibly use the Torker 383 as well since they are the same height. Just need to see if the reproduction base plate I found is for the 383 or 440 now.

Since Frankb has a Holly Dominator intake on his setup it appears then that I could possibly use the Torker 383 as well since they are the same height. Just need to see if the reproduction base plate I found is for the 383 or 440 now.
If you dig through my Super Bee restoration thread, I posted pics comparing the 2 base plates.
Also did some research on intake height, not a Torker, but still may help you.
Stock 383 4 barrel intake 2806301 is 3.44" tall. Edelbrock DP4B is 3.91". Edelbrock Performer is 4.0". Edelbrock Performer RPM is 5.35". Weiand Action + 8008 is 3.810". Holley Street Dominator 300-10 is 4.38". Mopar M1 p4529117 is 3.80".
All of these except the RPM, unfortunately, will work under an air grabber setup. Just need the 440 baseplate for some of them, I got mine from PG Classics.

Thanks for that information and the website. I noticed that from that site you can only buy everything in a set and not just the base plate separately. The one that I had found does sell just the base plate so hopefully it will work so that I do not have to buy the top since I already have that piece.

What hunt2elk said. Airgrabber clearance is TIGHT. You've got "roughly" 1" of increased height to play with + an extra roughly 1" (total of 2") if you have a 383/400 low deck motor and use the shorter 440 airgrabber air cleaner.

Feel your pain. I have a 440 in mine with the CH4B intake. Used a repro 440 base and the lid is line to line with the hood. So going to trim the repro base to fit.

I haven’t fit up the air grabber center section yet but looks like I need 1/2 inch off the base.

Auto Transport Service
Back