• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'69 Roadrunner aftermarket intake

There is a guy in Texas who makes fiberglass base plates for this situation. I don't remember his name but I found him on the Moparts site.
I used his base but I had to modify it to make it work. I had to sand down the neck about an inch or two I think to make everything fit. Its a tight fit.
Frank

There is a guy in Texas who makes fiberglass base plates for this situation. I don't remember his name but I found him on the Moparts site.
I used his base but I had to modify it to make it work. I had to sand down the neck about an inch or two I think to make everything fit. Its a tight fit.
Frank
Is that the one that doesn't come with the metal bar and studs?

Yes.
I have one with the bar but I never used it.
Frank

I recommend a stock 400 Thermoquad intake with a nice 850 Thermoquad on it!

Yes.
I have one with the bar but I never used it.
Frank
Do you happen to have any good pics of how you attached the fiberglass base to the carb? Were you able to cut the base down enough to get an Edelbrock Performer RPM under the hood?

Frank

Do by chance remember the guy's name? Also how much was the plate?

Just my 2c, that's a damn good intake, used that on a few engines before, I'd run that before any of the others mentioned.

Agree, but good luck in finding one that fits a 383 and then find the the needed base plate if you have the air grabber,

I called Stinger Fiberglass about the base plate that they have listed to see if it is for the 440 or 383 and they did not know. The guy I talked to stated that he put it on his 383 with a stock intake and the plate fit. Can someone give me the measurements to their 440 base plate so that I can get them to measure the plate that they have for sale?
I inquired about their return policy and they stated that I would just need to pay for shipping back to them and that they did not have any restocking fees. At $145 for the plate it might be worth taking a chance on to see if it will work.

I called Stinger Fiberglass about the base plate that they have listed to see if it is for the 440 or 383 and they did not know. The guy I talked to stated that he put it on his 383 with a stock intake and the plate fit. Can someone give me the measurements to their 440 base plate so that I can get them to measure the plate that they have for sale?
I inquired about their return policy and they stated that I would just need to pay for shipping back to them and that they did not have any restocking fees. At $145 for the plate it might be worth taking a chance on to see if it will work.
Also be aware that you need to fab something up to hold it to your carb and to attach the top plate.

I wanted to updating this posting and see what you all think about this idea. I work for a major university and I have access to a CNC machine. I was thinking that maybe I could take my 383 base plate into the shop and have them measure and then make a new one except not make it as thick? I'm not sure as to how think it needs to be. From the picture that is used on Nick's Garage it looks as if the new base plate would need to be 1" shorter all the away around? Do you all think that this would work?

The Mopar Performance M1 intake manifold P4529117 performs just as good as the Edelbrock performer and the Weiand 8008 intake it has an operating range up to 5800 rpm and it is the same height as a factory intake. No fab required.

The Mopar Performance M1 intake manifold P4529117 performs just as good as the Edelbrock performer and the Weiand 8008 intake it has an operating range up to 5800 rpm and it is the same height as a factory intake. No fab required.

Where can I get one? It seems that this part is no longer made.

Mancini Racing use to sell them not to long ago. Might be able to find a used one.

Thanks, but it appears that they currently do not have any in stock for I am not seeing it listed on their site.

I have still been looking around for an intake for my 69 RR with the air grabber hood. I believe that I might have figured out what I need but wanted to run it past everyone to get some input. From what I was told in this thread since I have a 383 block I can get about 2" of additional clearance by running the 440 base plate. The stock intake has a height of 3.44". The Torker 383 P/N 3010 has a height of 3.75 in the front and 4.60 in the rear. Having 2" to play with I could potentially get a intake of up to 5.44" (3.44" stock height + 2" B block with 440 base plate) which is more than the clearance of the Torker 383 which is 4.60. Am I correct in that the Torker 383 should work with my setup?

http://www.performancecenter.com/item/59000-edelbrock-3010-torker-383-intake-manifold

Last edited:
Decades ago I made my base plate from fiberglass. Was using 2-4 with Carter 400 cfm 4 barrels. A metal coffee can starts really close to proper size, just have to add some duct tape to increase the size. Spacing got close enough. Height was made too tall to sand down for the proper height with the rubber sealing to the hood. My only worry was how well it would hold up to underhood heat. It never gave any problem. Fiberglass does not stick to saran wrap.

Y
I have still been looking around for an intake for my 69 RR with the air grabber hood. I believe that I might have figured out what I need but wanted to run it past everyone to get some input. From what I was told in this thread since I have a 383 block I can get about 2" of additional clearance by running the 440 base plate. The stock intake has a height of 3.44". The Torker 383 P/N 3010 has a height of 3.75 in the front and 4.60 in the rear. Having 2" to play with I could potentially get a intake of up to 5.44" (3.44" stock height + 2" B block with 440 base plate) which is more than the clearance of the Torker 383 which is 4.60. Am I correct in that the Torker 383 should work with my setup?

http://www.performancecenter.com/item/59000-edelbrock-3010-torker-383-intake-manifold
You will not get an additional 2" of clearance by switching to the 440 baseplate.

Thanks for the replies. If I can get 3/4" (.75") difference running the 440 base plate then the Torker 383 does fit since there is only .27" difference from the stock intake and the Torker (4.60" - 3.44" = .27"). It would appear then that we can add the Torker 383 to the list of intakes that can be used with the air grabber hood. I really wish I could find someone that has done this to be 100% that it fits. I hate to have to buy the intake just to turn around and sell it.

Auto Transport Service
Back