• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 RoadRunner convertible Value

Beavis

Local time
7:57 AM
Reaction score
ok so here it goes.

i have a 69 Roadrunner 383 4 speed convertible. it is numbers matching everything except the motor. what is the value of importance to command the most money for the car, seeings how i dont have the original block:

1. Any Plymouth 383 HP any model year
2. 1969 383 HP out of a different 69 RR convertible
3. 1969 383 HP out of a RR hard top
4. 1969 383 HP out of any car
5. any of the above replaced with a 440
6. it doesnt matter because i dont have the original motor

thanks

Alot of Guys like correct date code engines in their cars.But I think once the numbers matching engine is gone its gone.I would just find any year 383 to drop in it.

I agree. #6. At this point it doesn't matter.

"it is numbers matching everything except the motor"...there is no partial or qualified 'numbers matching' (kind of like 'partially pregnant'). Either a car is or isn't numbers matching. If the engine is gone, then the car is no longer "numbers matching".

"it is numbers matching everything except the motor"...there is no partial or qualified 'numbers matching' (kind of like 'partially pregnant'). Either a car is or isn't numbers matching. If the engine is gone, then the car is no longer "numbers matching".

x2 for #6

Concur.

Answer depends on what you are going to do with the car. Are you assembling parts to sell a complete project car, going to restore to sell a completely done car, rebuilding for yourself, other ???

If its the second to last then: The original motor is gone so go with what you want to build and drive.

One addendum: There will be some buyers who want a date code correct HP motor and that will be a lot of collectors and first time muscle car or first time Mopar buyers. Some will just want an E 383 HP stamped on it period. So if you are selling it find a date correct 69 HP 383 block but it absolutely will not matter one iota what it comes out of. It could be out of a C body ... it does not matter, if you can't find that next best would be non-date correct 69 HP 383:

1. 69 HP with correct build date
2 69 HP w/o correct build date
3. Other Big block motor out of a 71 or earlier (steel crank)
4. Other big block motor

Opinions will vary, that's mine

Where is the E 383 stamped on the motor????

383 Engine ID pad.jpg

daae6dee.jpg

Post up some pictures of your car. We'd love to see it no matter the condition

sorry for all the questions, im a GM guy getting into mopars now. i also have a 1970 GTO Judge Convertible Ram Air III 4 Speed Car. PHS documented,Frame off Restoration. im not sure if theres another real judge conv this color. im the 3rd owner of this car. before i restored it, it was last registered on the road in 1975.
Copy of IMG_0214.jpg

No problems on the questions. Everyone has to start somewhere and sometime. That's a sweet looking droptop Judge Beavis. Post up some different angles and top down pics if you have them. I think most of us like all car and in my case I just buy Mopars but like em all!

sorry for all the questions, im a GM guy getting into mopars now. i also have a 1970 GTO Judge Convertible Ram Air III 4 Speed Car. PHS documented,Frame off Restoration. im not sure if theres another real judge conv this color. im the 3rd owner of this car. before i restored it, it was last registered on the road in 1975.
View attachment 152635

- - - Updated - - -

Nice project car there brother. What are your intentions with that Mopar :)

That Judge is awesome! Back in high school my buddy had a green on green 4 speed, his older brother had a blue on blue auto. Both hardtops.

Thats a Real Deal Judge Conv. PHS documented 1 of 168 total ever made!

- - - Updated - - -

this is another car in my stable. 69 GTS 383 4 Speed

IMG_0338.jpg

Don't appoligize for asking questions. That is exactly what these forums are for. I alos agree that it doesn't matter once the original engine is gone it's gone. A 69 date would be nice, but not a deal breaker for me at all.
KID

Not to disagree with the peanut gallery, but I wouldn't just drop any 383 in. Here is my suggestion...

First, stick with an era correct motor no matter what. If you could get a 69 or 70 year 440, I would recommend that.

Second, and I am sure the flames will fly, but I would put in a 440 and six-pack to simulate a 69 1/2 clone. Here is why:

1. 1969 + 440 six pack + convertible = one step short of super rare. Sure its a clone, but you are cloning something that is 1 step short of a very rare car. Don't lie about, it but be honest that you were trying to get close to something rare.

2. You can't afford or find a Hemi, so why go all they way down to 383, when era correct 440's are around.

3. Its never going to be numbers matching, so why not maximize the desirability? A 440 six pack will hold its own on the city streets against the other cars of that era. Guys who know, will want it.

4. Lastly, and this one is tough. It was very common in racing circles in 69-70 to yank that 383 and drop in the 440 six pack as soon as it was around. back in the day, racers used to mod almost new cars all the time, so you are essentially doing a 70's era mod that was common. How cool is that?

Of course, its just my opinion, and we all have one don't we?

Randy

Not to disagree with the peanut gallery, but I wouldn't just drop any 383 in. Here is my suggestion...

First, stick with an era correct motor no matter what. If you could get a 69 or 70 year 440, I would recommend that.

Second, and I am sure the flames will fly, but I would put in a 440 and six-pack to simulate a 69 1/2 clone. Here is why:

1. 1969 + 440 six pack + convertible = one step short of super rare. Sure its a clone, but you are cloning something that is 1 step short of a very rare car. Don't lie about, it but be honest that you were trying to get close to something rare.

2. You can't afford or find a Hemi, so why go all they way down to 383, when era correct 440's are around.

3. Its never going to be numbers matching, so why not maximize the desirability? A 440 six pack will hold its own on the city streets against the other cars of that era. Guys who know, will want it.

4. Lastly, and this one is tough. It was very common in racing circles in 69-70 to yank that 383 and drop in the 440 six pack as soon as it was around. back in the day, racers used to mod almost new cars all the time, so you are essentially doing a 70's era mod that was common. How cool is that?

Of course, its just my opinion, and we all have one don't we?

Randy

I don't disagree with what you said after you opened your comment with the dismissive insult but was that comment really necessary Rodney?

btw the peanut gallery really consisted of 3 of us and we answered his very specific question as you did. I personally would put a 440 in it or 400 stroker depending on the direction I was taking and what I was going to do with it for my own, but if I were selling it one of my 383 suggestions would still be likely as non-Mopar nut buyers and many Mopar specific buyers would value that IMO.

Hmmm, Not meant to be dismissive or insulting in any way. I used the phrase "peanut gallery" as a reference to multiple people providing an opinion. Sorry you took it that way, it was not my intent. Just wanted to give another option to consider.

I think he valued all of our opinions and will make his own decision.

It really was not meant to offend, but to be a simple phrase.

Randy

Auto Transport Service
Back